Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
In order to eat them you have to kill them first. Is that a little mean to the silkie breed?

silkie or not they are chickens. there are always extra roos or hens who for some reason don't lay or their eggs are not good for hatching. very few people can afford to keep an old chicken nursery home.

Why would it be?

I have heard that they have black skin and possibly black meat. I once had an old silkie rooster mix that I wanted to eat but thought his meat would be tougher than an old shoe. I have never had the experience of dining on a silkie chicken. They are classified as bantams so I assume there isn't much there to eat. I can't say eating a single is on my bucket list but it is a source of curiosity that I have. I might take it if given the right opportunity. I don't know if I am allowed to say that here but I guess I just did.

Todayyyyyy was the last of the water melon treat days.. Silkies really enjoyed it along with everyone else.View attachment 3277517
DEMOLISH IT!
Aww that is just soo cute, I have a buff silkie myself her name is Twinkie, she is a sweetheart:love
1664765267451.JPEG

For those who have not seen a dominant white Silkie chick, I just hatched one from paint x paint breeding. This is a purebred Silkie (paints are now a recognized color).
First time I have hatched one.
Paints will often have pink and black spotted toes and beak, these usually darken as the bird gets older. Curious if this little one will change with age as well.😊
A8DF6624-9993-4CCB-950B-CC5C2A18F7D7.jpeg
22A01903-B275-4674-9153-4991EB67AFDF.jpeg
64DB4DE1-550F-4A56-BBE3-628582950319.jpeg

silkie or not they are chickens. there are always extra roos or hens who for some reason don't lay or their eggs are not good for hatching. very few people can afford to keep an old chicken nursery home.

I understand. We have a mix of backyard breeders here though. Some don't like the idea of eating their pet chickens. Personally I think that is what makes chickens a better pet than a dog or a cat. If they are ever too much trouble or they just don't quite fit in with your plans you can always eat them guilt free. I have read animal cruelty laws in North Carolina and always thought it was odd that dogs and cats have an elite status in the eyes of the law but the truth is that they don't (not in North Carolina anyways).

You can legally kill any animal in North Carolina if your intention is to eat it. You can legally kill any animal in North Carolina if it falls under normal husbandry practices such as killing bugs with pesticides. The other reason you can legally kill an animal is for the health benefit of humans such as killing mice, roaches, or bed bugs. I found the North Carolina animal cruelty laws to be very fascinating. I always believed certain animals had a different status but they don't.

It is kinda weird though that killing an ant for fun with a magnifying glass is illegal in the same way as beating a dog to death. I guess the difference is the level of enforcement shown on a case by case basis. Oh my. I think I got off topic. This thread is about silkies. Right?

Man I luv me some chipmunks!!!

So precious and chubby lil babies!!!
Oh I meant to ask u bout the blue paints!
Is that new? I hadn't heard of it til u posted yours.
Traditionally and the only recognized paint color in Silkies is white with black spots.
Dominant white with blue instead of black
Is then a blue paint. It is generally frowned upon to introduce blue though into paint breeding as it can then be confused with splash which is very different genetically.😊

I have heard that they have black skin and possibly black meat. I once had an old silkie rooster mix that I wanted to eat but thought his meat would be tougher than an old shoe. I have never had the experience of dining on a silkie chicken. They are classified as bantams so I assume there isn't much there to eat. I can't say eating a single is on my bucket list but it is a source of curiosity that I have. I might take it if given the right opportunity. I don't know if I am allowed to say that here but I guess I just did.

their meat is not really black. silkies make a good soup. I have to admit I prefer them as pets.

In order to eat them you have to kill them first. Is that a little mean to the silkie breed?
At least they're being used. Something has to happen with the extra birds, especially if they're male. Better than killing and tossing.
It tastes like chicken as far as I know. They're smaller than most birds, but still possible to prep and cook.

Traditionally and the only recognized paint color in Silkies is white with black spots.
Dominant white with blue instead of black
Is then a blue paint. It is generally frowned upon to introduce blue though into paint breeding as it can then be confused with splash which is very different genetically.😊
That's a good point, I cam see the confusion.

I'm wanting to get a dominant white to breed with my partridge male to try and get some paints out of my mixed color pen

It tastes like chicken as far as I know.

That sounds like a realistic prediction. I have eaten various chickens. By far the best chicken I ever ate was an eight month old Rhode Island Red hen. Eating her was an accident. Who wants to eat a good laying hen? She thought it was a great idea to get in the dog pen and play with my dog. Unfortunately, she was wrong. I had to do something with that freshly killed chicken. Dixie was a good dog. She didn't hesitate to protect her territory. There was no way I could have saved that chicken.

Back
Top Bottom