Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 781 95.9%
  • ^

Votes: 94 11.5%

• Total voters
Im impressed. Mine wont touch snow
As soon as there’s a single flake in the air, the entire yard totally empties 😂 But they’ll all stand out in a pouring rain! Luckily they come out after the snow stops or they’d never leave the coops for months lol. We cover the water stations and other small areas though, just in case

More recent pic of Splash cockerel today. Longer tail and more manly looks, he was slow to mature. But very hormonal. And more pics of my flock today..

So, should I get rid of Splash cockerel?
IMG_20221129_105333.jpg

IMG_20221129_105257.jpg

IMG_20221129_105132.jpg

As soon as there’s a single flake in the air, the entire yard totally empties 😂 But they’ll all stand out in a pouring rain! Luckily they come out after the snow stops or they’d never leave the coops for months lol. We cover the water stations and other small areas though, just in case

I thought silkies were not supposed to get wet. it rained yesterday and while the other chickens ran to hide silkies were foraging in the (ex) garden.

To ACV or not to ACV…that is the question!

Wondering your opinions on ACV in water specifically for silkies. There was a HEATED debate about it on a FB group I’m part of but I didn’t want to engage there because, well, it’s FB and things got nasty quickly lol. So I figured I’d engage here…where it’s safer 😂

Varying responses I saw ranged from “absolutely it helps digestion” to “meh it’s not necessary” to “OMG no never!”

I occasionally add it (honestly, I usually forget) but I don’t want to be doing any damage.

I don't bother. It helps control algae and bacteria in the water so I've thought about it for that purpose. Any issues with the weak acid would crop up in fermented feed as well. Ive not heard of it having any so I doubt there is much issue at such low amounts. It's not like you're even giving them straight 5% vinegar. It should only be a ph of 6 at most. However constant acidualated water might not be what the chickens like. Of course my birds prefer mud puddle water.

I do use some in the rinse water when bathing them to help get the soap out. So that's another use. I use it on my hair as well.

Back
Top Bottom