Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
So months and months ago I entered a contest for cutest duckling, and I won 18 eggs. Well they were shipped across the country and I embarked on my first ever incubation and hatch. I Iet the eggs sit while I messed with the borrowed incubator. I struggled, being a newbie, and we had ups and downs, but in the end I successfully hatched two chicks. They were from a mixed backyard flock so I had no clue what breeds they would be, but to my amazement they were partially silkie or full on crosses. It is so amazing to watch them grow. Unfortunately, they both turned out to be cockerels, but that’s alright, even if I have to make them their own mini coop and run I will. They are my first ever hatched chicks….. I can’t part with them. They are also GORGEOUS. I have no idea what other breeds they might have in them any thoughts? Oh and while they were in the brooder still (before I knew they were boys) I picked up a silkie rooster in need of rehoming. The full grown rooster is named Cosmo, the gray and brown cockerel is Zip (he pipped and zipped out of his shell extremely fast) and the white one is Dot

Also these pictures are a bit older, I need to get updated ones
Congratulations! They r handsome fellows!
I would venture to guess they are part cochin.

So months and months ago I entered a contest for cutest duckling, and I won 18 eggs. Well they were shipped across the country and I embarked on my first ever incubation and hatch. I Iet the eggs sit while I messed with the borrowed incubator. I struggled, being a newbie, and we had ups and downs, but in the end I successfully hatched two chicks. They were from a mixed backyard flock so I had no clue what breeds they would be, but to my amazement they were partially silkie or full on crosses. It is so amazing to watch them grow. Unfortunately, they both turned out to be cockerels, but that’s alright, even if I have to make them their own mini coop and run I will. They are my first ever hatched chicks….. I can’t part with them. They are also GORGEOUS. I have no idea what other breeds they might have in them any thoughts? Oh and while they were in the brooder still (before I knew they were boys) I picked up a silkie rooster in need of rehoming. The full grown rooster is named Cosmo, the gray and brown cockerel is Zip (he pipped and zipped out of his shell extremely fast) and the white one is Dot

My guess is EE. Due to the muffs, it reminds me of some EE silkie mixes I have.. Here's one. She is the daughter of an EE/Bielifelder cross and a Silkie Roo.
20221022_100343.jpg

@CSolis @chickengr @Hinotori

Should I not be raking the litter around? I rake it to try and spread the wet/dry to mix it up and help the wetter areas when I put down new shavings.
Luv the idea of stripping Christmas tree limbs and using! You don't think the needles would hurt their feet any?
Would love to do the stepping stones but cause the run is on a 30% slant and the litter gets raked around they would just end up covered I think.
Their feet aren't caked in mud...mostly just wet. I'm keeping new shavings down constantly on the worst areas then raking it each day and PRAYING the sun pops out some each day to give us a break!!!
Indeed you should. My thoughts on sand are more of a leach bed idea. It would be under the litter to help with drainage.

I think they are silkie mixes. In our flock we have two grey pullets that came from a grey silkie rooster and a black sex link. The parents of yours also had to have a single comb (for ex. the black sex link.) And when you have a silkie cross, the feathers on the chicken will be softer because it was crossed with a silkie but the feather pattern will be not silkied but somewhat like the parents.

Not here. We are still in water deficit.

I did put the silkie pens in a spot that was above the worst flooding we've had. Granted that isn't much here, but a few years ago the streams massively overflowed and decided to become a large extention of the pond for quite a while. I made note of where it flooded to.

You've covered the most I need to do with soggy ground so not sure. Wood planks in your walk area?
This is a good idea. I have to replace the yard fence soon, and will be reusing planks for walkways.

Our chances of getting rain through the summer were like winning the lottery...but now we can't catch a break! Flooding, nastiness everywhere!
I have a trench dug bout 2' out from the run to help slow the runoff of rain but the ground is saturated! The run, even covered, is gross. I've got pine bark, pine shavings, leaves, wood chips and straw but it is just awful still.
I keep raking it around to try and let it dry out somewhat but I'm sinking in places that have never even been soft much less muddy!
Yall getting all this rain?
What do yall do?
Here is what im working on at the moment for the same issue.. i have sand in the run, lots of it (you would have to dig to hit soil).

Im going to be planting native short grasses that have deep roots and *hopefully* soak up water quickly when it pours, and are deought tolerant for all the other times.

20221207_124555.jpg

Here is what im working on at the moment for the same issue.. i have sand in the run, lots of it (you would have to dig to hit soil).

Im going to be planting native short grasses that have deep roots and *hopefully* soak up water quickly when it pours, and are deought tolerant for all the other times.

View attachment 3345693
Oh this is awesome!
I wish mine was on a flat surface but it's not. The one time I tried a small area of sand was awful.
Not sure if my climate, slope or what.

Back
Top Bottom