Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 781 95.9%
  • ^

Votes: 94 11.5%

• Total voters
Last week I'd found Molly, my best broody, in her pen unable to get up well. Looked to be a broken leg. So she's been inside in a tub with the runty pullet that was in that pen. Pullet is putting on weight and Molly is moving about some but still takes it easy on the leg and lays down a lot.

I'm setting up the broody coop for them. They've been in the back bedroom because a cold snap went through and you heal faster if you don't have to try and stay warm as well. It stays between 40 and 50 back there. We will warm a bit to those temps outside again so they can go out.
Oh poor Molly, hopefully she will make a full recovery soon 😊

@CSolis I'm sorry bout #5...I've never had courage to do eggtopsy. Time will tell who red's mom is!

@Hinotori I'm so sorry bout Molly! Do you know what happened to cause it? Did you splint it or how are you caring for her inside? Just trying to learn all I can bout adult baby problems since I've got so many adulting now!

@CSolis I'm sorry bout #5...I've never had courage to do eggtopsy. Time will tell who red's mom is!

@Hinotori I'm so sorry bout Molly! Do you know what happened to cause it? Did you splint it or how are you caring for her inside? Just trying to learn all I can bout adult baby problems since I've got so many adulting now!

It's her thigh so I couldn't figure out how to actually splint it. It's in position so just letting her be seems the best I can do. I don't want to put her down, which I probably would have done for many of the other hens.

It's her thigh so I couldn't figure out how to actually splint it. It's in position so just letting her be seems the best I can do. I don't want to put her down, which I probably would have done for many of the other hens.
Oh I hope she pulls through ok! Keep us posted!

Just pretend this is a really big splash silkie cockerel.

Well I've almost got Hermes trained around the chickens. He probably won't be safe to leave with them until he outgrows the teenage hyperness.

The silkies are wary of him but no longer scared of him. He still freaks out my large fowl.

20230202_155032.jpg

I've decided I will hatch a clutch of chicks fathered by this guy to see how they turn out. He carries one copy of the silkied gene.
20230202_181909.jpg

And this one I wish was a color I wanted.
20230202_153806.jpg

Molly is limping heavily but has decided she wants to move around her tub a little. It's only been a week and I'm reconsidering putting her into the top of the broody coop with more space. I still don't want her moving a lot and smaller space limits how much.

The little pullet with her is getting friendly and runs up when she sees me looking for a treat. She's also put on some needed weight. May only be an ounce or so but it's noticeable.

Here's LBB at nearly 24 weeks with his 3 hens. Had a problem with him being overly 'attentive' with younger pullets, so I swapped him and Lancelot out. LBB is learning manners. He has a white cochin, black cochin, and Turtle Dove my EE mix hen (that produced marvelous kids from Gen Lee) to teach him how to court them and be a gentleman.

Hi, my satin silkie pullet that we have had for a week has been jerking her head back sometimes. This started last night. Her crop is flat and empty. Here is a video, any idea what it is?

As I said over on the silkie thread, I think something is stuck and she might need a crop massage with some food grade mineral oil. Vegetable oil or even water tubed in then massage would help. Tubing would also help with any obstruction in the throat.

Back
Top Bottom