Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
You can use a small fabric covered elastic run through a bit of tube or such to make a space. I had some I made from the thin elastic around panty legs. I just made a fabric bead for spacing.

I ordered some pre-made ones a few years ago. Just use a thin stick to keep from pulling it through the tube when you put on the first leg.

Amazon link
https://a.co/d/1QRg9Kw
From your pic, it looked like a hair (cloth covered) rubberband with some tape in the center... i see is not what you used, but have you tried that? think that would work? 🤔

From your pic, it looked like a hair (cloth covered) rubberband with some tape in the center... i see is not what you used, but have you tried that? think that would work? 🤔

A small hair band with a tape roll in the middle would probably work perfectly fine.

At what age do everyone’s cockerels start mating? This is our first time with males so I’m not sure what to expect…

We have 2 pullets who started laying about a month ago, at 6 months. Originally we had two cockerels (same age as them) but we rehomed one because he was getting aggressive to the other (and we wanted to keep the other for breeding purposes - he’s just so handsome!). The eggs were originally fertilized, which I knew could be from either boy. The eggs from both girls are now unfertilized so that tells me the boy we kept isn’t mating yet (or at least isn’t doing it successfully).

Are most silkie males mating at 7 months or do they tend to become fertile a little later?

No idea where to find one.

It's not a good choice for APA shows because of the frizzling. Would be fine as a showmanship bird. Lavender (self blue) as a color is working it's way towards acceptance as a silkie color so those do appear at shows under Silkie - all other varieties.

Don't know if frizzle is even working towards acceptance. Showgirls have been around for decades and are only now gaining acceptance.

And I just remembered I need to go order the new Standard of Perfection book
Question Silkie genetics gurus! What colors could I get from this rooster? If I have a recessive white, a partridge, and a splash Silkie hens? I think he’s gorgeous 😍😍 Someone is looking to rehome him…
Awesome coloring I love it

At what age do everyone’s cockerels start mating? This is our first time with males so I’m not sure what to expect…

We have 2 pullets who started laying about a month ago, at 6 months. Originally we had two cockerels (same age as them) but we rehomed one because he was getting aggressive to the other (and we wanted to keep the other for breeding purposes - he’s just so handsome!). The eggs were originally fertilized, which I knew could be from either boy. The eggs from both girls are now unfertilized so that tells me the boy we kept isn’t mating yet (or at least isn’t doing it successfully).

Are most silkie males mating at 7 months or do they tend to become fertile a little later?

All depends on the cockerel himself and the bloodline. Mine usually get interested around 8 months. I don't have any real fighting issues now. I have multiple roosters in several pens at the moment.

Pumpkin the little cockerel, unfortunately I'll have to re-home him since I have 2 roosters already 😞 he's just so cute!
IMG_20230401_190533.jpg
IMG_20230401_160249.jpg
IMG_20230326_133830.jpg

Do you ever have multiple roos in same pen with hens?
I know you asked Hinotori this question but I have 11 pens. Each with it's own roo. I have hens divided by color and I put them with the roo I want to expand (color) or experiment with. I know she has her's separated by color. I just personally want to see who's producing what from whom to make better decisions on breeding.

Back
Top Bottom