SILKIES WITH PINK SKIN !!!!

coffeepheasant

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
I have hatched a batch of 15 silkie chickens from my flock and 3 have hatched with pink instead of black skin. Is this a random throw back or are the silkies not pure bred???? They still have the 5 toes, feathery legs and fluffy feathers... Any ideas would be helpful ..
kind regards coffeepheasant

Sounds like you may have some other blood mixed in your flock. Last year I hatched a pink skinned Silkie, but it was one out of around two-hundred chicks. So it does happen, but your odds are a bit high for this to be a simple coincidence. Do you have any photos of the parents? Stock can have five toes, feather legs, and hookless feathers and still not be pureblood.

Thanks here is a pic of a pair but i have been looking and i think one of the hens isn't as pure, because all the pink chicks came from her brood.

Both Silkies look like average hatchery (pet) quality birds, and are not good representations of the breed. They don't really look mixed, but more like they came from a flock that hasn't been culled for several generations.

The cockerls comb doesn't look that red in normal light ! I think I will continue to rear them each year and just cull out the pink ones and i will add some new blood !! Few years I should have them looking good thanks for the comments guys.
kind regards coffeepheasant

Where are you located? I am working on a project of light skinned silkie feathered chickens......What color are their eyes? & do they have blue earlobes?

Back
Top Bottom