Silky ducks

I've been doing research on them as well, and it's true there is not a lot of information about them.
However I did find a website of a woman who raises them: I read that they are fine in the winter. Basically they are a "normal" duck with a top layer of silky feathers. So basically not ALL the feathers are silky.

Does that make sense?

I will try to find that link for you.

It was like feather acres dot com or something like that.

Quote:
I just saw that. Why is dave selling "TSQ" if they cant be shown?
idunno.gif

Maybe he just didn't want to start another heading Top Quality and thinks that Show people would know that they were not accepted into the standard. If I remember right they could be extered as a variety I think the APA did that for Fizzly chickens didn't they?

This is what I received from Holdereads when I asked about show quality and not being recognized by the APA..

It is true that Silkie Ducks have not been recognized by the APA. Although it varies some from show to show, generally non-APA recognized breeds/varieties can be shown, they just cannot compete against APA recognized breeds & varieties. My understanding is that you clear the showing of any non-APA recognized breeds/varieties with the show secretary. Part of the process of getting a breed/variety recognized is having it shown.
The designation of top show quality for birds that aren't APA recognized means that they are closer to the standard that Dave applies to that particular breed or variety.

I hope this helps. It helps me.

I had silkie ducks for awhile. They were easy to raise here in Wisconsin. They were treated just like all the other ducks I have. I let mine hatch their own eggs and I had good hatches. I was told that they can be more touchy to hatch if you use incubators or chickens. They need more humidity the last few days or something. Since I just let the silkie ducks hatch their own, I had no problems.
I've sold some out East and around Wisconsin, so there are some out there. If I hadn't decided to put more effort into raising calls, I would have kept the silkie ducks. Unfortunately, they didn't sell as well as the call ducks. I had to be careful not to raise too many. People like to buy ducks that they can show with the the chance of winning the bigger categories at a show. The silkie ducks are great ducks that were easy to raise for me. If I didn't have other projects going, I thought it would be neat to produce a silkie call duck or a silkie duck with a crest.
Hope you enjoy your's!!

Getting 10 Top show quality ducklings this year. Yes a lot of money
th.gif
but I love my silkie chickens and think these will be a great addition to my farm. I'm not telling any of my family members how much they cost me though
hide.gif

I think there gonna be fun and different to have around... I have 2 silkie chickens and the little rooster (mr. puffy) feels like he has fur instead of feathers... He absolutely hates it when I pet him like a dog...

Back
Top Bottom