Silky ducks

AliciaM

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Yelm Washington
Im looking for information on Silkie ducks. Specificaly from Holdereads. Ive got an order in and id like more information.. Are they easy to care for? Anything special needed for them? How are they at hatching there own eggs? Are eggs hard/easy to incubate? Those kinds of things..

Thanks.

I would assume that silkie ducks are like silkie chickens, in that keeping them water proof will be darn near impossible, keeping them warm when dry would be harder and rain+ winter=frozen birds! So, other than that, they should be the same as any other duck.

Hmmm, secuono makes them sound like candidates for being indoor ducks!
hide.gif

I think they're neat looking. Don't have any, though.

Quote:
Holderreads keep them in Oregon and its always raining and freezing cold up there.
I would assume that as long as they have a choice of whether to be outside or inside they should be fine.
Ducks are waterproof. They have naturally occuring oils and they will preen throughout the day spreading that oil on their feathers. Even though you may think they wouldn't be waterproof since they are silkied, but really they are. Ducks love water no matter what you do. I love watching my ducks bathe in fresh clean water. I've been told that I'm a bad duck keeper since I let my call ducks swim and bathe everyday. Hmmm Sorry, but as long as their happy I'm happy.
smile.png

Silky Ducks are very very rare. I'm "hoping" that in a couple years they won't be as rare as they are today, but that's just a dream of mine. Would love to have some, but I just can't justify coughing up the $$$$$ on them though.

I've heard they can be dificult to hatch. Read somewhere last year that holderread was having a bad hatch year with them. Although for me any duck eggs are hard to hatch....... I'm waiting for the chance to get a real incubator, no more styrafoam crap. Right now I'm using a homemad one but hopefully I can get a better one next year. I've got my eye out for a cabinet type incubator.
big_smile.png

i might be getting three silkie ducklings with my welsh harlequin order in spring. thats gonna be alot of $$$$$$
th.gif
i like them though...

Back
Top Bottom