Silky roo what colour is this?

guys do all chicks of bearded birds grow up to have beards? Stupid q maybe but i have 4 silkie chicks i hatched from eggs from bearded parent birds and i am curious as to whether any or all of them will get beards.

I would love to know the answer to the bearded question you asked, aran, and also get a source list of some kind that explains what will happen if you breed a blue with a black etc., etc. I am completely in love with my two new silkies - will post a picture of them in a bit - and I'd love to bring on some more eventually. They have such sweet temperments & are so beautiful. I never thought I'd love having chickens as much as I love having dogs & cats. They have just as much personality, if not more.

Anyway, if anyone knows a good general Silkie information site that would answer breeding questions, I'd be grateful.

Laura

Hey guys I m not new to the board, site wont accept old name and password, so I changed.Henrietta66, I hatch all silkies, I currently have over 12 adults -also juvies, babies to be babies,Every bearded baby has equalled an adult bearded.As for genetics the following basic genetics applies

Blue+Blue=50%Blue,25%Black&25%Splash
Blue+Splash=50%Blue&50%Splash
Blue+Black=50%Blue&50%Black
Black+Splash=100%Blue
A Black+1 Regular Blue gene= Blue Bird+ another Blue gene=Splash Bird
Splash+splash should = all Splash
Splash+Black should=all Blue
Black is a dominate colour
White is recessive- hides colour. Colour is genetically present but you cannot see it.- Think of it as an off switch.It takes 2 white genes 2= a white bird. Some whites hatch grey-due to the silver gene and turn pure white .Blue dilutes Blackso keep the colours separate. Mix Blue & Splash can muddie or blurr a splash colour, mate splash with splash. Hope this helps

Silky ma...do you know the genetics behind gray silkies? Hard to find any info on them, it's be nice to know....since I plan on breeding them. Do they breed true?

Hi Silky Ma yhanks for the colour thing.
Can you tell me what i would get from a buff roo and a black hen?
And a buff roo and a white hen?

Cheers Happyhenz

Yep. He's a very pretty partridge silkie.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom