Silky with Swollen Foot

Thank you so much! This is the first time that I have had to deal with frostbite so thanks for all of your help. I just feel bad for my poor silky but I guess I just have to give her time. I will keep you posted!

She lost another toe tonight! I put Vetericyn on it. Also wondering if she is lonely? She has been kept inside since I first noticed her frostbite and has been away from the other chickens... should I let her be with another hen? Or would waiting until she has lost all of the frost bitten parts and started to walk around more easily be better?

5EE712C5-3A96-456A-9C55-2095CD344ADB.jpeg

7CCA217B-4927-4B25-9FD7-2F26838DEA07.jpeg

You probably can start to get her used to going out some to her coop as long as she is inside a dog crate with food and water. Her last toe looks like it is getting ready to come off soon. But she should be okay to walk around after getting used to it.

Tonight she lost most of her foot. It is bleeding a little bit, but not very much now. I sprayed Vetericyn on it. So what should I do now?
65B596A4-843D-433F-B62B-7F9A5C65B8DE.jpeg

Also noticed that the feathers by her bottom are getting dirty. How should I clean them?

With her foot stump being fresh, I would try to clean her feathers by pulling off any dried droppings, and trim any excess feathers or poop. Now this foot she lost is the one thatwas mostly black before? And she still has the other foot with the black toes? Betadine iodine can be good to put on the stump, and I would pad it with some 4x4 gauze pads and a little vet wrap until it heals some.

Yes, this was the foot that was mostly black. She still has her other foot and a couple black toes on that foot. How often should I rewrap her foot?

I forgot to add that I would also put some betadine ointment on it before applying the gauze. I would change it once a day twice, and if it looks okay, go to every other day. You have been doing a very good job taking care of her.

Would betadine be better to put on it than Vetericyn? Just curious because I have Vetericyn now and will have to go out a get betadine soon.

I like the idea of using betadine iodine on the stump since it is a strong disinfectant. WalMart sells it in the first aid supplies under the Equate First Aid Antiseptic which is fairly inexpensive. The Vetericyn may be just fine with the Neosporin ointment though. WM sells 3x3 or 4x4 gauze pads as well in the same area.

Back
Top Bottom