Silly crop question

Tiffany

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
But im gonna ask cause its better to ask and find out
than not ask and never know! Where is the crop on a week old chick and how do I check and tell if its full.
hide.gif

It is on the right of their neck right above the chest. You would be able to see an feel if it is full.

Last edited:
Ty. Is it a certain color or does it blend?
Anyone have a good pix of one on a chick?

The crop is in the circle of this 3 week old araucana.
60506_almost_3_weeks_crop_area_008.jpg

The crop is at the bottom of their throat and is where their food gets ground up before moving on to the stomach. If they are full, it will bulge out. If they don't get enough grit to grind the food it will feel doughy and they can get sick and stop eating. Hope that helps.

It is a WHOLE lot easier to find than the part of the newborn male chick that will eventually contribute to the rooster doing his duty. All I did was read about that and decided I was going to have to wait for other indications as the chick grew cause I was not looking for that part.

A full crop is pretty obvious especially if you feel for it. If you didn't know that chicks had crops you'd figure "OH, God!...my chick has a chest tumor on one side!

Lol ok that was a perfect description I found it instantly lol. I had noticed it 2 days ago on one chick and was concerned lol

Back
Top Bottom