Silly meaties *pic*

Jschaaff

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
New Hampshire
Funny...when they were just little guys....they had no problem jumping into the baking dish for me....

DSC07938-1.jpg

...if only processing could be so easy....

lol.png

Is that a mash you made for them in the dish they are laying in? Im curious because I make my meaties a mash every day. Too cute wither way.

No, it is just a sand box.... I always heard meaties didn't dust bathe, but from one week old on, I had a pie plate...baking dish...something always in there filled with sand..and man they would fight over it! Once we moved them outside, i ditched the sandbox because they have plenty of black dirt from the garden...which they constantly seem to be playing in..okay...well, when not eating...or laying down panting lol.

I never thought to give mine sand. Mine are a mess right now because they decided to play in their waterer and they look horrific. I cant wait till they go out to the new tractor.

Oh you'll get them out in that beautiful new tractor you made soon! Seriously I'm jealous! It's perfect!

As for the sand, I had to try it. I hadn't raised meat birds since I was a kid, and really wanted to try and make it more than just 8 weeks for consuming food and laying around for them. I was floored at how much they play, run around, and dusted in that sand box. At 6 weeks old tomorrow, they still saunter out of the tractor and "bathe" in the nearby gardens. Granted they waddle...and they never travel far anymore, but they do seem quite content! I found 5 about 40 feet away from the tractor the other day..which was such a feat at this point, DS13 called me outside to see them trying to waddle up the hill... I can not imagine what possessed them to go so far, normally they stay within 20 feet of the tractor...they LOVE lying under the trees deep in the leaves that I *cough* "deliberately" didn't rake...just for them.

Back
Top Bottom