Silly phobias that linger from childhood? Clowns are a given O_O

Moabite; you and Dewey aren't related, are you?
smack.gif

Quote:
Mine is bridges, too! When I was about 4, I had a nightmare that I was in the car with my family & my dad drove us off a bridge and into the river & we died. I'm 48 and still remember that nightmare as vividly as if I'd had it last week, and to this day, I panic going over bridges (doesn't matter who's driving). If it's a high/steep bridge, I've been known to hunker down in the back seat and do Lamaze breathing to keep myself from vomiting.

Mine with bridges didn't start until I was in my 20's. When I mentioned it to my mother, she told me that when she was little, she used to cry and beg her daddy to let her out so she could WALK over the bridge. She would have to get down on the floorboard so she couldn't see out. I was already phobic when she told me this. My panic attacks hit so hard that I have actually lost consciousness for a few seconds. I think this is what the problem is with DRIVING over a bridge. I'm not afraid of heights or riding over a bridge if someone else is driving. I'm pretty sure it was passed to me from my mother; I sure hope I didn't pass it to my kids.

As life is a balance of all things, I'm really not afraid of the usual things and I don't panic in the most serious situations. I guess I wouldn't trade that for being able to drive over a bridge without thinking about it...

I can relate Noodleroo, About 3 weeks after I quit smoking, I'd have to slow to like 10 miles per hour less then the recommended speeds posted for corners and I was having trouble standing on a 6ft ladder. I took a couple months, but now I don't mind dragging my knees around corners on my CBR and I don't have trouble standing on the top rung on an 8ft'er now. I believe that it was just a withdrawal symptom from the nicotine.

Ok, you got me. I am afraid of basements.
Ever since "It", you know, Stephen King?
Yeah well-the werwolf that turns into a clown that turns into a 3 fingered hand? yeah.

Grasshoppers, Locusts, Spiders, etc.

Its funny...I keep and breed snakes and am not afraid to mess with a 10' Boa, but I won't touch a grasshopper. Even a tiny one. Scared they will jump at my face or something.

Good thing chickens love Grasshoppers!
big_smile.png

I am deathly afraid of Ferris Wheels. Just thinking about getting on them makes me want to pass out. When I was younger my grandpa took my cousins and I to a park. 3 of us got on the same seat on the Ferris Wheel. They were rocking it back and forth, and it scared me so bad, that I am terrified of them now. My daughter wanted to ride one so a couple of years ago, I decided to try again for her, but I was in tears, and dang near passed out by time it was over. I have never gotten on one again.

Mine is mostly heights... Last year I agreed to be a cameraman for my brother's high school football team and traveled to a stadium that you had to climb a vertical ladder hanging out over the edge of the pressbox in order to get to the top of the thing for filming. If you looked out it seemed that you were out in midair without a net under you! It took quite a bit to keep my butt behind that camera that night, I tell you!

My sister is 50+ and can't bring herself to drive over a bridge, especially a big one. My step daughter and her 2 girls are clown phobic. Maybe she passed it on to them!

Back
Top Bottom