Silly Sleeping Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by BoogieBug, Jun 15, 2017.

1. GlennLee

GlennLee Songster

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Just took a look at the pics again. The ones with the stripes on the head and cheeks look like they might be the standard pearls, but you have one at least that has white cheeks. I think that one may be a different color - royal purple or chocolate brown. Will be fun to watch it grow and color up.

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Those are all Pearl Grays. The Royal Purples and Chocolates do not have a center stripe on their head. They have squiggly lines instead which indicates that they are only partially dotted while the ones with a solid center stripe on their heads are fully dotted.

3. BoogieBug

BoogieBug Songster

OHHHH NOOOO!! I did not lose 30 in one day. I HAD 30 and lost them over the course of time. However, my neighbor had 40-some-odd hens and he DID lose 40 in one night... to a wolf pack! Yes, it is sickening. [​IMG]

It does seem that way at times. [​IMG]

The lighter ones are very pretty, but I've read the they are usually the ones that get picked off first by the predators because it's so much easier to spot them. [​IMG]

Ain't that the truth!! :rolleyes:

HAHA!! It IS working out great! :yesss: I'm tickled. I previously mentioned - either in this thread or another - that mine started out in a Kohl's box in our RV! ha ha!! That was the only place where I could keep them warm and protected.

Oh, and I'm so excited!! The keets GRADUATED TODAY!! :yaThey finally got off the platform and were down on the ground. I thought they were gone and I was momentarily horrified! But then I found them here!! YAY!!!
    20170617_202116ed.jpg
    A little bit ago, I peeked out at them and they were busy pecking on the ground eating up bugs! YAY again!! =D

Thanks!! You too!!

Krazyquilts likes this.
  4. BoogieBug

BoogieBug Songster

Yes, indeed! Can't wait. I just figured they all be the same color. Now I'm really excited!!:ya

5. BoogieBug

BoogieBug Songster

[​IMG]

6. GlennLee

GlennLee Songster

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Well, you could try using some of that hair paint and make them purple for a day or two! Ha!

7. GlennLee

GlennLee Songster

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    http://guineas.com/colorchart/
    Just found this chart and if you scroll down it has keet identification. Very happy about this find - it makes it easier to identify them. What I had found before wasn't as informative. I still like the idea of hair paint. ;)

8. GlennLee

GlennLee Songster

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Maybe one is a pied pearl gray?

9. BoogieBug

BoogieBug Songster

HA HA HA!! Funny. That's okay. They all look the same to me now and whatever color they end up being is fine with me. :)

10. BoogieBug

BoogieBug Songster

That is very cool! Mine are definitely pearl gray. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: