Silly swimming chickens...I mean "ducks"....I mean chickens!!

Keltara

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Small Town U.S.A., Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
***************************UPDATE**************************
I've updated this post with more photos of our ducky chickens!!

Yes I know that "they" say chickens can't swim. Or chickens will only float for a few minutes and then their feathers will become sodden and they will sink. Well I'm here to let you know that their feathers may become wet and sodden, but they will not sink. They will float, swim and flap. They LOVE the pool! So who are "they" anyway??
wink.png

Here's Tara with one of her babies:

Here are Madeline, our neighbor Riley, and Tara with all three of our girls (Dixie, Jasmine and Daisy).

And the Henny Penny's just chillin' in the 92 degree heat .

Preening after the pool....

Excuse us...A little privacy please human! Now make yourself useful and fetch us some meal worms.

****************************Updated photos below!*************************
These pictures were taken on 8/3/11.

Last edited:
Your ladies came out better than my Johnny. He fell into the cow's water trough in rather cold weather. I didn't want him in the water while I ran around to go thru the gate so I reached thru the fence and tossed him out. Poor guy landed right in the mud!!
40223_johnny.jpg

he he i did this to my hen, to cool her off, and she didn't fare well, i guess i put her in shock, and she wouldn't move or anything, she just sat there limp, and would fall over when i tried to stand her up, so i held her a while got her warm again, and put her in a cage with food and water, she was up and moving pretty soon after

Wow! I did not know they would do this! My hens all come and stand at the edge of my pool deck and watch while I swim, but I've never thought of putting them in the water! Hot as it is here, I may try this!
smile.png

Ondra's Seramas :

That is really cool! Cute chickens. Since chickens can actually swim, I wonder why we have had such problems with them drowning in the trough?

Simple - there is no easy exit point for them. They get trapped, panic, and then drown.​

Back
Top Bottom