Labelles Velders

Chirping
Mar 21, 2019
Before I start: This is all under the assumption that what I think I know is true, that silver is a dominant sex-linked trait, and turns gold/red color white. Hopefully that is true.

I have a 12 week old pullet that is bred from an EE hen and a Lakenvelder rooster. All of her feathers are white and black. No buff, red, or anything else. Seeing this, it led me to think she has the silver trait. I’m now under he assumption that Lakenvelders always have the silver trait, and that all of this LV’s offspring would be silver. Is this true? Would all offspring from A Lakenvelder rooster and brown EE hens have the silver trait?

F9EE8785-47AC-4FD5-B65F-47779EBF38E7.jpeg

Lakenvelder Rooster is Sex linked Silver, it does not matter wither the EE is gold or Silver, the F1 pullet will always be Silver because her Sire is Silver.

Lakenvelder genetic make up eb/eb, Ml/Ml, Co/Co, S/S. going by the pic of the F1, I will say that the EE dame is just a regular eb/eb, ml+/ml+, co+/co+, The F1 looks partially restricted and partially melanized in the hackle.

Lakenvelder Rooster is Sex linked Silver, it does not matter wither the EE is gold or Silver, the F1 pullet will always be Silver because her Sire is Silver.

Lakenvelder genetic make up eb/eb, Ml/Ml, Co/Co, S/S. going by the pic of the F1, I will say that the EE dame is just a regular eb/eb, ml+/ml+, co+/co+, The F1 looks partially restricted and partially melanized in the hackle.

Thank you so much!!

What is the Ml/Ml locus/gene (whatever it’s called)? How does the dominant form affect plumage?

Last edited:
Thank you! I have one more question: If I bred a Lakenvelder Rooster to a Pure Splash Ameraucana hen, do you have a estimate to what the offspring would look like? Would it be something like a white bird, but with blue markings in the neck and tail?

This photo is from when he was younger, so he has filled out since then - longer hackle and tail feathers, larger body, and larger comb and wattles.

Just as I predicted, didn't I?

As @nicalandia said, you'll always get completely silver hens from him (unless the mother has autosomal red, which isn't sex-linked)

Autosomal red has little effect on columbian restricted hens.

I believe you'd get blue chicks with silver leakage on the neck and chest.

Due to Melanotic being in Homozygous state(from both parents) the leakage will only be restricted to the breast and underside due to heterozygous columbian.

From this male:
All of the female offspring would be silver S/-

From this cross in particular:
all of the male offspring would be golden S/s+ (white with yellow in sex feathers)

From this male and a silver female:
the males offspring would be S/S silver.

Back
Top Bottom