Silver-Laced Sebright crossed with Orpington?

Quote:
No white leghorn in the bird. White leghorns are dominant white- the bird would be buff with white in the tail and hackles if it had a white leghorn as a parent .

Tim

No wonder his leghorn brother pecked him so badly today. It looks like I'll have to get rid of the 2 leghorn roosters. They don't like him and will kill him. However, he gets along great with his leghorn sisters and the Bantie!

So do you think the cockerel might have been fathered by the Sebright and mothered by an Orpington?

And that the Bantie pictured had Sebrights for both parents?

No Easter Eggers. I had only the two Barred Rock Hens. One died. The 6 chicks I now have were hatched by the surviving Barred Rock. They were eggs imported from a farm, so she is the stepmama. The owner of the eggs claims he had only a white leghorn rooster and a Sebright rooster at the time the eggs were fertilized. If that is true, the papa would have to be the Sebright; right? If it isn't possible my rooster is part white leghorn, based on his color? Unless there's a rooster they didn't know about at the farm, and I find that highly unlikely. They don't have that many chickens.

One thing-- when the eggs hatched, the rooster was a bit smaller than the other chicks, except for the Bantie, and he was bigger than her. Soooo. Theoretically, if he had a huge Orpington Mama and the tiny Sebright Bantam rooster was his Papa, he could be smaller than the half Leghorn chicks that had no Bantie in them; right? But would Orpington genetics dominate over those of the silver-laced Bantie rooster. If you compare the Bantie, though, with this rooster, you see similarities. A blue head where the Bantie's is black and similar wing tips, though different colored. I'll post the two photos for comparison so you can see what you think.

Oh, I see I already posted their pictures for comparison. They are on Page 1 of this thread. See how their head/neck feathers have similarities, as do their wing tips and tails? I think the Sebright might conceivably be the rooster's dad>

When the rooster was little, his legs looked willow, according to some. I'll see whether I posted his baby picture here. If not, I will.

Here is the rooster's baby picture that shows the willow legs. Does he look at all Bantie-ish to you?

84553_dscf5911.jpg

I am trying to figure out how the bird inherited the blue feathers. He has blue in his hackles, wings and tail. He had to get that from one of the parents. He has white skin like an orpington and a sebright. But the down color is all wrong for a birchen bird the down color looks like a wheaten heterozygote.

I have no idea who the parents are the bird is a puzzle to me.

What variety was the sebright- for this bird to have come from the cross the father sebright would have to of been a golden sebright and the mother was a buff orpington. If the sebright is silver- then the bird has a different father.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom