Silver-Laced Sebright crossed with Orpington?

Also, I have read that sometimes hens will savage chicks that are of a breed they don't like, killing them. My Barred Rock hen, the StepMama, tried to kill this chick after it hatched, pecking it savagely, but I rescued it. I am so glad I did; he's a beauty! But do you suppose the hen may have sensed he was an odd mix of breeds, foreign to her, since we can't even figure out what he is? And he was sized inbetween the Bantie and the part leghorns that hatched, making me think he does have a different Papa than the leghorns.

Broody hens will accept chicks but older female birds may or may not tolerate a chick. It is not unusual for a hen to peck a chick.

Tim

The Stepmama hen had just lost her sister. We don't know what caused the death, but the surviving hen was so sad. The sister who died had been a broody girl, but we had no rooster, so she would sit on unfertilized eggs. Suddenly, after she died, her sister turned broody all of a sudden-- probably because she was brooding over her sister's death, so it was natural for her to become broody in the other way, too. At least sitting on the eggs from the other farm took her mind off her sister's death. Six of the ten hatched. She pecked at only two emerging newly hatched chicks-- the roo we are trying to determine the breed of here, and his brother-- both males. She didn't peck the girls. I think the boys' high energy testosterone levels must have unnerved her after sitting for 21 days on nice, well behaved eggs. HAHA.

She was 18 months old when she played StepMama hatching the eggs. When I tried to catch the chicks one day so they wouldn't escape into the cats' clutches, I scooped them up in a box. My hen got very mad at me and pecked me hard for several weeks afterwards, thinking I had tried to steal her babies. She didn't realize I was trying to save their lives. She's been very protective of them (except she still hates my little rooster in the pictures above), and she will drop her treats so they can have them. I couldn't have asked for a better mother hen. I know her sister in Heaven is very proud of her. I'm just sad that Sis never got to hatch chicks of her own-- I see now why she wanted to do so so badly-- they are a blast. But we didn't need more chickens.

But when Sis died I knew the surviving hen needed flockmates for the cold winter ahead, and that's why we brought these eggs in. I think it did help her get her mind off her beloved dead sister, focusing on the little ones, so that's good.

Tim,

But do you see the kind of golden lacing on the back of my roo? Could the Orpington gold mixed with Sebright silver have created this? Especially if it's an odd, very unusual cross not oftenly seen (Big Huge Mama/Tiny Wee Papa).

Quote:
The bird got the blue feathers because when a bird color with a genetically chocolate based pattern like BOs are bred to Black-based patterned birds like SL Sebrights, It causes what is called a Khaki-based Pattern. This looks an awful lot like blue.

Oh, how cool! Even if the Buff Orpington mother is a blondie in color? So Ducks and Bannys, you think the mom was a blonde Buff Orpington and the Papa a silver-laced Sebright? That would be so neat!

My 9 week old rooster chick started crowing this morning! Do you think this could be a sign that he is part Bantie, crowing so very young?

Clare

Quote:
The bird got the blue feathers because when a bird color with a genetically chocolate based pattern like BOs are bred to Black-based patterned birds like SL Sebrights, It causes what is called a Khaki-based Pattern. This looks an awful lot like blue.

The male in the pictures is not silver. In order for the male in the picture to be gold, the father would have to of been gold. Gold and silver are sex linked traits.

I do not understand what you mean by chocolate base?

Buff orpington are usually homozygous for two restricters dark brown and columbian, gold ( homozygous for males and hemizygous for females), homozygous wheaten at the E locus, some may carry mahogany. These genes produce the buff color in the bird.

Sebright are homozygous silver (hemizygous for females) homozygous birchen at the E locus ER/ ER, columbian Co/Co, dark brown, melanotic and pattern are linked Db-Ml-Pg/ Db-Ml-Pg. These genes produce the laced pattern in the silver sebright.

1. the male does not appear to be silver
2. The male does not show any kind of pattern on his breast
3. the male's down appears to be wheaten and not some derivative of a birchen down
4. he carries some kind of a diluter of black which is not found in either the sebright or the orpington

I do not believe the sebright was the father

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom