Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magsrags, Apr 28, 2009.

1. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Very pretty. I think he is a Silver Laced Sebright.

2. foxy2320

foxy2320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    I'll try my luck here. I have 4 SLW chicks that are about two months old. One looks a lot different than the other three. It is younger than two of the others, has bigger and redder combs/wattles, has a short stubby tail, and white patches on its back. I had a BLRW pullet that turned out to be a roo, but was very late developing and I'm wondering if that runs true in all wyandottes. Any insight is appreciated, although I will just have to wait and see!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ikesik

ikesik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    My guess is pullet. I base that only on the assumption that the SLW I recently rehomed was indeed a roo (you can see pics of him earlier in this thread), and compared to your pics, he looked much more roostery. At two months, he had big red dangling wattles and a bright red comb, both of which were far more pronounced than that picture here. Also his tail feathers were much more pointed and vertical, whereas yours here look nice and stumpy. My guy started getting saddle feathers in right when he went to his new home, giving me good confidence he was indeed a he. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. foxy2320

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    Well sadly I probably won't find out, as this one didn't come home after free ranging a few nights ago :'-( Was my little buddy! Only one that would let me pet him/her!

5. ikesik

Apr 17, 2013
    :( really sorry to hear that.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

6. yo burrill

yo burrill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    Well bummer... After reading this thread I think I have two roos and one hen. :( At three months old two have no tail feathers still and one does.

7. ikesik

Apr 17, 2013
    Post some pics :)

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

8. slab1

slab1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    I've got 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes that I purchased at the end of February from TSC with the hopes that at least one would be a pullet. I decided last week that one was definitely a rooster and was in the process of repurposing him (i.e.- preparing him for the freezer), when I heard a crowing from the hen house..... So I either have 2 roosters, the bird I thought was a roo is actually a pullet, or a hen is crowing....

Here's a photo of the bird I was planning to put in the freezer.

[​IMG]

And here's the bird I thought had a chance to be a pullet but then heard her/him crow.

[​IMG]

In that second picture you can see the difference in the tail, which is why I decided bird #1 was the rooster, but they both seem to have pretty red combs and wattles. Any thoughts?

9. foxy2320

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    I see two definite Roos in the second picture. Hens don't have long, light, pointy feathers that fall around the base of the tail. They are beautiful, though!

10. BlueJayFarm

BlueJayFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Boring, Oregon

I agree, VERY pretty and I also vote SL Sebright

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by