Silver Laced Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FarmerBoy24, Jun 26, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Does anyone know how to tell a breeder or show quality SLW? What things should I look for?

2. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    A SQ bird in my book is a bird with no DQ's and comes as close to the ideal standard as possible. Some people call the lesser quality birds breeders, which you can use in your program. But I prefer to breed my showbirds that way I can always know that I have the highest quality in my hatches. If it isn't good enough to win at a show, I don't breed it. That is my breeding philosophy.

3. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Brody's Broodello :

A SQ bird in my book is a bird with no DQ's and comes as close to the ideal standard as possible. Some people call the lesser quality birds breeders, which you can use in your program. But I prefer to breed my showbirds that way I can always know that I have the highest quality in my hatches. If it isn't good enough to win at a show, I don't breed it. That is my breeding philosophy.

What is a DQ?​

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
  5. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Quote:Thanks that helped.

6. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    So you have to let them grow up to start looking for show quality birds?

7. InviteTanner

InviteTanner Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    You have to let them mature to get their adult feathers (I've been told that's between 8 and 12 months old), and that's something I didn't realize until I'd invested in over 100 Wyandottes! I've already been able to cull a handful, but I'll have quite a feed bill by the time these guys are mature enough to see what I have. It's very enjoyable watching them grow though, and to see their different personalities.

8. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    If I post a pic of the Pair can you guys tell me if they are good quality?

9. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I like the breed myself regardless is mine are SQ . Hoping to pull one or maybe 2 that are out of the 10 I have. My main reason is the fact that heritage breeds seem hard to come by locally here unless you order from the Hatchery.

10. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Here He IS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by