Silver mandarin eggs

finchamdan

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Hi there,
Im hoping there are some experienced people here to help me answer my question :).
I have my silver mandarin ducks laying eggs now and i leave the eggs in the nest box overnight. I am wondering with all the cold weather over here in the UK would affect the fertility of the eggs if left?
I got my first egg 26.3.13 and i now have 4, i dont want the eggs to have a lower fertility rate so i wondered what to do?
Hope you can help

Last edited:
:welcome
I won't be much help with that since I have no clue how your temperature is over there, but I was wondering what a silver mandarin is... Can you post pictures of them? Or are they just white mandarins? Also, I love your avatar, are those apricot wood ducks?

I do not want to completely change the topic here, but what colors of mandarins and wood ducks are available in the U.S.?

:welcome
I won't be much help with that since I have no clue how your temperature is over there, but I was wondering what a silver mandarin is... Can you post pictures of them? Or are they just white mandarins? Also, I love your avatar, are those apricot wood ducks?

Hi there,
Silver is the common term for white here.
Although they suit white better.

Over here those Carolinas are called 'dark silver '. Basically for you they would be called 'dark white' or 'white'?

Last edited:
 Welcome to BYC!  We dont have silvers in the U.S. that I know of anyway. But wether they are silver, white or regulars the temp has nothing to do with fertility. Its up to your particular birds. As long as the eggs dont actually freeze the fertility is what it is and you will be fine. Yea Please post pics of them when you can. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, that makes me feel Better!

Okay. That makes sense. Those wood ducks look like they would be called apricot over here. I am glad destinduck was able to help.

Woodducks. Silver, white ,apricot and regulars. You also hear the word "platinum" nowdays. I personally think its just a white x silver. Ive kept them all but I still think the regs are the prettiest and so all non duck people. Odd colors of course are always cool to us bird folk. because Hey its something new of course. LOL! Manderins reg and white. Although I did have some babies turn up what I would have called apricot. I didnt want them so I traded a guy some food for them. Theres a pic of one male somewhere on here.Anyway, I think the europeans would call them a ginger now. Also they have what one guy on here calls blacks in Europe. To me it looks just like a dark er apricot. Guess you can name them(mutations) what ever you want. I still like the original regular mandarins also. Also I had mandies that had red bills in the females.Still see some of those now and again. Its what you like to keep. Again non duck people always love the reg manderin over the whites. Out of all the ducks I have kept when people come to see them. They always point to one of the regular manderin males every single time. Its really what ever color that makes YOU happy is whats important .
wink.png

That is what I thought! There is another thread in this section where dylan duck man just posted pictures of his two platinum hens. I personally like the platinums. I was hoping that maybe there might be some of the colors found in Europe over here as well. So getting mandarin hens with a red beak is something you get every year, or is it just once in a while. Remember, if you get something something odd colored, I would be interested in it! I keep plenty of the birds in the regular colors since people like those and I find them amazing, but the color mutations are really cool. I have my nice balance of ducks!

Back
Top Bottom