Silver Spangeled Hamburgs

FunnyFarmMomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
I looked for a thread but couldn't find one.

Everything I've read says that SSHs aren't very broody, but I was wondering if anyone has any that has hatched some. I would really like chicks later but don't have an incubater. I really hope one of my four will eventually hatch some but they are just now starting to lay (two eggs and counting).

Thanks for any information you can provide:caf

A good friend of mine has SSH. They started to go broody the 2nd and 3rd years. This year, the 4th, all his old hens and many of the younger ones went broody. He lets them hatch out what they want when they want, and whatever lives gets kept. After 4 years, he mostly has SSH and mixes thereof-they are good free rangers, very quick and active. If you buy a good many hamburgs, some will eventually go broody. If you want them to be broody, mark the broody hen, and only hatch her eggs each subsequent year. If you keep only broody hens long term, and only hatch their eggs, you can develop a broody strain in a few years.

I have a couple that went broody not long after they began to lay. Hatched their peeps and now that I have only females when they go broody I give them d'Uccle eggs.

I was told the same thing, that broodiness is not their thing. I do have one that will break broody the moment I take her eggs from her.

Back
Top Bottom