Simple and cheap roost design

EverythingZen

Songster
Nov 29, 2017
AU
A couple of saw horses ($30 aus dollars) pvc pipe ($a few), duct tape and cable ties for stability. It’s got to be more comfortable than the lorikeet cage they currently try to roost on every single night, before we take them all down to the coop.
F6C44D3E-0CF3-4BD6-A8CA-80041400B6B3.jpeg

Just my opinion, but I think chickens would be more comfortable on those roosts without the PVC pipe. The board does offer some grip traction whereas the PVC pipe does not.
If you want a round object, then a tree branch with no sharp knots works well. That is what my roosts inside coop, are made of. Natural tree branches.
WISHING YOU BEST from UP OVER,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Just my opinion, but I think chickens would be more comfortable on those roosts without the PVC pipe. The board does offer some grip traction whereas the PVC pipe does not.

x2. PVC is too slippery for a roost and the chickens may not want to use them, or may eventually hurt themselves sliding around trying to balance.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll take the pipe off.
We’ve had solid rain for the last few days but once it stops I’ll go through the bush and try to find some straight-ish branches I can use instead. The wood on the saw horses is a bit too wide I reckon, but I’ll keep using them as a base because they are nice and stable.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll take the pipe off.
We’ve had solid rain for the last few days but once it stops I’ll go through the bush and try to find some straight-ish branches I can use instead. The wood on the saw horses is a bit too wide I reckon, but I’ll keep using them as a base because they are nice and stable.

Eh, might try with the wood boards as is, the chickens might take to them even without a rounder bar on top.

Back
Top Bottom