Simply Amazing

robin416

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
This one is out there, even for me. I went down to do the evening stuff for the birds. I moved one of the metal feed troughs and found a newly hatched chick. It was ice cold, the only thing that told me it was alive was the beak moved. Stuffed it inside my coat, down my shirt and brought it in. I ran warm water, immersed the peep and rubbed. Still the only indication the peep was alive was movement of its beak. When the water began to cool I put it in a clean terry cloth towel and rubbed. Put it under my halogen lamp and rubbed. I plugged in the incubator and plopped it in once I could feel for certain its body temp was coming up. Its peeping now.

You know, we found a chick like this under a broody hen today. I am so thankful my boys went down to check on her b/c she had no clue it wasn't under her. They brought it up and whispered they found a dead chick. I just barely saw it move so we heated up a rice pack and a towel, put it in my shirt until they were ready and kept rubbing in. The sweet little thing is happily peeping in the brooder right now.
smile.png

Hope yours makes it fine as well!

Not long after I posted about the freezer peep I took it out to the hen. Cynthia knows how excited I would be to have a single chick in here. Yes, I've got the others in here but they are much too old to put a just hatched chick with.

I just came back in for a well peep check. That can be pretty entertaining when you've got broodies all over the place. Anyway, the peep is talking under Momma and moving around because I could see the hen's wing feathers moving. I think this peep ended up where it did because Momma got up to eat and drink, that's how come I found it under the metal feed trough, it was probably under her wing and fell out.

I looked high and low for my dwarf and her chicks. Finally I spotted her chicks heads popped out from under a broody's wings. OK, so where is their mother? I still don't have a clue but she's got to be in that pile somewhere. And the Splash who is already brooding new eggs has her two month old chicks piled in there with her.

WOW tis the season.
ep.gif

A lady I know just has a Banty Roo and asked me to find a girl or two for him. So I stopped by the neighbors' on the way home yesterday and asked if he might have a hen or two, age didn't matter, he'd part with. He said he'd look and then asked me if I would like to have a 'play-purty' and proceeded to pull a banty chick out of the front pocket of his overalls.
he.gif

Said he found it behind one of the barns as he handed it to me. I found myself holding a barely peeping ice cube. Immediately cupped my hands over it as my Mom headed home. It was peeping more by the time we got there and so we stuck it in a SMALL box with a lightbulb and kept a close eye on it. Gave it some water and food 20 minutes later when it was moving a bit and by the time night arrived it was SCREAMING up a storm calling for Momma.

Of course all our chickens are full size and you can't just have one banty (sound familiar anyone
gig.gif
), so we drove 30 miles to the feedstore that was selling chicks and picked up 5 banty buddies.
barnie.gif

The one that started the whole thing is the red with the black on the head and seems VERY happy now that she (SHE SHE SHE SHE - may they all be SHE'S) has girlfriends.

Pics are here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/viewp=999&gid=16101471&uid=4366732&members=1

or: http://tinyurl.com/34kqup

Any
banty experts care to guess as to the breeds. I have no idea myself. I'm pretty sure that there are 5 different breeds. One is feather footed.

Wow, robin416 , that is amazing. Thank goodness you found the little peep when you did and warmed it up.
So glad for the happy ending!!
clap.gif

I think I'm more amzaed that it could even be done. Cold is supposed to be the death nell for new babies and this one was so new it still had the matted feathers like it would immediately after hatching. When I say it was ice cold I'm not exagerating, I didn't have gloves on and it was pretty chilly out this peep was so much colder than my hands. Quite the shocker to have it up against my warm body, woohoo!

Back
Top Bottom