Since this is asked once a week....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If you really want to be technical, the original A&M quail weren't coturnix at all but a bobwhite / blue scale cross that didn't have much application other than usage as a lab rat since the hybrid was sterile. Through selective breeding, the large brown coturnix was created and the white version came about due to the need to differentiate the strain from other jumbo line hybrids that were being produced by both large and hobby breeders.

Studies that can be found on the Internet, including one at the TAMU library even suggest using a broody chicken for incubation of the coturnix (Japanese) quail. See page 6, right hand column of the pdf file available here . . . . http://posc.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/jpquail.pdf. Common diseases seen in gamebirds can mimic those seen in chickens and cannot be determined to be a separate disease without performing laboratory testing. This comes from Dr. Cook's report on common gamebird diseases available at http://teamquail.tamu.edu/files/2010/09/Common_Gamebird_Diseases.pdf. Even more mud for the water is that everyone here keeps espousing the fact that living with chickens can kill the quail but the information in this study (http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/veterinary/issues/vet-02-26-2/vet-26-2-37-0109-14.pdf) and others very similar to it point to the reverse; meaning the quail are more likely to pass along a disease to the chickens instead.

You passed a judgement on me that was uncalled for by stating that I was unskilled in the science of virology. While I may not have a doctorate in the field, I do believe in education and not just taking common knowledge as the gospel in regards to disease and disease transmission. In simple words: I do my research. It has served me well over the years and even provided me with several accolades throughout my college education and in life in general. My use of the term "yuckie" was to incorporate all forms of chicken based diseases and to bring a little light into the subject. Presuming my use of the word was indicative of lack of knowledge or education also indicates that you have little to no ability to take information such as what I provided as what it was intended: an alternative theory as to why some people have no problems housing gamebirds and chickens together while others have had bad results.

The bathtub bean counting does not work either as a scenario. While 98% of them do not drop in the hairdryer, you are failing to take into account that some fool sneaked into the room and dropped a television into the tub. This would be the wild bird that came in through a small hole in the barn wall and dropped a wad of poop on the dividing wall between the chickens and the quail. Since the wild bird then immediately flew out and fell down dead from cocci does not mean that the chickens gave it to the quail (your "hair dryer"). It is, to use a bean counter example, crying wolf while the fox raids the hen house.

Now, that being said, would I house adult quail with adult chickens? No. It makes no sense to me to do this. I keep the bobs I currently raise separate from my chickens. First, the bobs are too flighty for my chicken run and coop. I go out and loom over my chickens and they immediately beg for their treats. I go out and look my bobs in the eye and they spook even when I have a treat in my hand if I don't whistle at them before popping around the corner. Bobs have a tendency to see chicken toes the same way kids see french fries and will peck a chicken half to death from the toes up. Chickens, especially the larger varieties, see smaller birds as potential food sources. Do I keep them in the same area? Yes. My bob house is within 5 ft of the backside of my chicken coop. Do I incubate chicken and quail eggs together? Yes, I have one incubator and quail eggs just don't last through a 21 day storage period to get chicken eggs out of the darn thing. Do I brood the things together? You betcha. The chickens and quail both receive medicated food upon hatching and stay on it for at least two weeks. After the two week period is up, the birds are then separated out into individual brooders since that is also about the time the quail discover chicken toes and chickens discover that friend that has been hiding under their belly looks a bit like a cricket. This also gives me a chance to start adjusting the feed and protein levels for each type of bird.

Do I support housing them together as juveniles or adults? Only if one knows what they are doing. If the space exists, having them separate is best if for no other reason that the fact that chickens are a hardier stock than quail. If there is not enough space, then do one's level best to keep them separate. Just to be safe, have hand sanitizer near each area as a form of bio-security. Will I panic and immediately start preventative treatment in case a chicken wanders into the quail pen? No. Will I panic and isolate the quail that landed in the chicken pen for 6 weeks or longer looking for signs of disease before returning it to the rest of the covey? No. Will I serve both for dinner if the mood hits me? Yes.

It's called common sense. That very first pdf file states clearly that "Japanese quail . . . are fairly disease resistant but are affected by some common poultry diseases" (my so-called yuckies). Hmmm, that sentence right there could also start with Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, or even Rio Grande Turkeys.

On a lighter note, I really didn't know that A&Ms were bobwhite/blue scale crosses. Definitely some interesting journals you threw out there. I know who to go to if I ever need some research doing
wink.png

Quote:
Nah, the quail now referred to as the A&M are the white coturnix. The scale / bob cross project was discontinued a loooonnnnngggg time ago.

Quote:
Nah, the quail now referred to as the A&M are the white coturnix. The scale / bob cross project was discontinued a loooonnnnngggg time ago.

Was that the project where they were trying to breed a larger white meat quail?

Quote:
If you really want to be technical, the original A&M quail weren't coturnix at all but a bobwhite / blue scale cross that didn't have much application other than usage as a lab rat since the hybrid was sterile. Through selective breeding, the large brown coturnix was created and the white version came about due to the need to differentiate the strain from other jumbo line hybrids that were being produced by both large and hobby breeders.

Studies that can be found on the Internet, including one at the TAMU library even suggest using a broody chicken for incubation of the coturnix (Japanese) quail. See page 6, right hand column of the pdf file available here . . . . http://posc.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/jpquail.pdf. Common diseases seen in gamebirds can mimic those seen in chickens and cannot be determined to be a separate disease without performing laboratory testing. This comes from Dr. Cook's report on common gamebird diseases available at http://teamquail.tamu.edu/files/2010/09/Common_Gamebird_Diseases.pdf. Even more mud for the water is that everyone here keeps espousing the fact that living with chickens can kill the quail but the information in this study (http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/veterinary/issues/vet-02-26-2/vet-26-2-37-0109-14.pdf) and others very similar to it point to the reverse; meaning the quail are more likely to pass along a disease to the chickens instead.

You passed a judgement on me that was uncalled for by stating that I was unskilled in the science of virology. While I may not have a doctorate in the field, I do believe in education and not just taking common knowledge as the gospel in regards to disease and disease transmission. In simple words: I do my research. It has served me well over the years and even provided me with several accolades throughout my college education and in life in general. My use of the term "yuckie" was to incorporate all forms of chicken based diseases and to bring a little light into the subject. Presuming my use of the word was indicative of lack of knowledge or education also indicates that you have little to no ability to take information such as what I provided as what it was intended: an alternative theory as to why some people have no problems housing gamebirds and chickens together while others have had bad results.

The bathtub bean counting does not work either as a scenario. While 98% of them do not drop in the hairdryer, you are failing to take into account that some fool sneaked into the room and dropped a television into the tub. This would be the wild bird that came in through a small hole in the barn wall and dropped a wad of poop on the dividing wall between the chickens and the quail. Since the wild bird then immediately flew out and fell down dead from cocci does not mean that the chickens gave it to the quail (your "hair dryer"). It is, to use a bean counter example, crying wolf while the fox raids the hen house.

Now, that being said, would I house adult quail with adult chickens? No. It makes no sense to me to do this. I keep the bobs I currently raise separate from my chickens. First, the bobs are too flighty for my chicken run and coop. I go out and loom over my chickens and they immediately beg for their treats. I go out and look my bobs in the eye and they spook even when I have a treat in my hand if I don't whistle at them before popping around the corner. Bobs have a tendency to see chicken toes the same way kids see french fries and will peck a chicken half to death from the toes up. Chickens, especially the larger varieties, see smaller birds as potential food sources. Do I keep them in the same area? Yes. My bob house is within 5 ft of the backside of my chicken coop. Do I incubate chicken and quail eggs together? Yes, I have one incubator and quail eggs just don't last through a 21 day storage period to get chicken eggs out of the darn thing. Do I brood the things together? You betcha. The chickens and quail both receive medicated food upon hatching and stay on it for at least two weeks. After the two week period is up, the birds are then separated out into individual brooders since that is also about the time the quail discover chicken toes and chickens discover that friend that has been hiding under their belly looks a bit like a cricket. This also gives me a chance to start adjusting the feed and protein levels for each type of bird.

Do I support housing them together as juveniles or adults? Only if one knows what they are doing. If the space exists, having them separate is best if for no other reason that the fact that chickens are a hardier stock than quail. If there is not enough space, then do one's level best to keep them separate. Just to be safe, have hand sanitizer near each area as a form of bio-security. Will I panic and immediately start preventative treatment in case a chicken wanders into the quail pen? No. Will I panic and isolate the quail that landed in the chicken pen for 6 weeks or longer looking for signs of disease before returning it to the rest of the covey? No. Will I serve both for dinner if the mood hits me? Yes.

It's called common sense. That very first pdf file states clearly that "Japanese quail . . . are fairly disease resistant but are affected by some common poultry diseases" (my so-called yuckies). Hmmm, that sentence right there could also start with Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, or even Rio Grande Turkeys.

I stand by what I said as 100% truth! I did qualify my statement by identifying coturnix as the genus in question. I also stand by my statement that neither one of us is a virologist. THAT FACT IS IRREFUTABLE!

Sorry you got your feelings hurt, but please don't take me on in the number crunching department, because you will loose. BADLY!

I have been warned by a 12 year old to be nice, so I will be nice and say that we may agree to disagree on some points. It is my non-expert virologist opinion, that game birds should not be housed together with chickens, and any contact between the two should be dealt with, in strict bio-isolation. Disregarding any40 year old PDF file . That's just my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion, and NO, you ain't all that! I don't really have to say what others are already thinking about you.

Thank you so much!

Okay, we really do get that everyone on here have a difference of opinion on this subject, so, as you say, can people agree to disagree? We really don't need to be hearing all of this name calling and insulting on here. I thought this was supposed to be a forum where people could learn and share their own stories in a calm and friendly environment, so can we please just quit this? Someone on here has already said "what works for me may not necessarily work for you". I think this is a perfect statement and people should stick to their own way of working things. This should be an informative thread, showing other people the pros and cons of keeping chickens and quails together, the possible risks involved, the biosecurity measures that some people prefer to use, such as feeding quail first, using different boots/clothes for quail and chicken pens, hand sanitisers etc. I'm sure they don't want to read about people bickering and trying to one up each other.

There is a difference of opinion. END OF!!!

I agree with animal8. We aren't going to agree, so let's agree to disagree and move on.

Who knew quail keeping was such an exciting subject?
big_smile.png

I think the points have been made, it's up to everyone to make their own decisions and weigh the risks against their own situation then live with the outcome, good or bad.

What one person does isn't going to work for everyone as we all have different situations from single birds, to pairs, to thousands. Also different tolerances for the risks involved.

And no matter what the outcome, good or bad, we are here to support each other.

Well, I agree too!
Not calling anyone names here, from now on. If I called anyone a name, I apologize!

I was just speaking to the original thread. Which I agree with. It's just my opinion.

I happen to also agree with others that voiced their concerns..... It's up to everyone to figure out what they raise, and how they raise them. If you want my opinion, I'll be happy to give it. Sometimes it isn't pretty, or the opinion you were looking for, but it is all mine.

Well, I agree too.. But I had a bantam chick hatch with a bunch of Quail and was raised with the quail forever and lived with them forever.. But nothing bad ever happened? I tryed to put her with chickens and she WOULD not go anywhere near them and would hide in the corner.. Put her with the quail and she was perfectly fine..
hu.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

Quote:
No, they had noticed a decline in the Texas Blue Scaled quail population. They were hoping through hybridization with the bobs, they could produce a more hearty scale quail. At least this is what I was able to gather from various sources in regards to the study. I'm not sure but the final end result may have been to produce a domestic scale quail for meat but since all the offspring were infertile, the project was scrapped. I could only find old grainy B&W pictures of the chicks that were produced but they looked like a scale quail with a hint of a bob mask on them. Next time I get the chance to prowl around the library archives again I'll see what I can find.

The only quail projects I can find in regards to A&M and meat producing flocks have all had the coturnix quail as stock. My vet has a friend who is in the poultry department and made mention that they are doing several quail studies but most of those deal with increasing the numbers of wild quail where populations have undergone a steady decrease due to weather and predation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom