Since this is asked once a week....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Does it really matter if some does or doesn't raise their quail with chickens or any other bird? If their bird(s) get sick or not does it really truly matter? If their bird gets sick they ask for advice. If their not sick their happy.

Yes some people follow bio, some don't. Big whoop. Everybodys experience is different

Quote:
<trimmed your post down to the section I wanted to address here, hope that is okay>

You are quite correct. Even if domesticated quail varieties have developed or are developing a resistance to chicken diseases, there is evidence that says that this resistance has yet to reach the point where chickens and quails can live in perfect harmony sharing nest boxes and food buckets. The reverse of this also is true and chickens may not have all the resistance they need to survive some quail specific diseases. I would hate to lose every quail in the pen due to them catching a chicken disease and it would break my heart to lose my chickens to a quail disease. Bio-security of some sort needs to be put in place. Hand washing, keeping space or solid barriers between the two breeds, placing the breeds on different levels, placing the individual pens so that the prevailing winds do not blow across one and then the other pen, etc. Simple common sense procedures can allow a person to sit outside and listen to their quail talking among themselves while they enjoy watching their chickens participate in their evening game of grape football. Even when incubating and brooding the two together, these need to be kept to specific limits and separation needs to occur early on, if for no other reason than to prevent pecking problems.

However, the point I was trying to make here was that those who are under the impression that the only way one can raise these two types of birds together is to have chickens in Florida and quail in Washington state are going to the extreme. There are those who seem to think that if one has 10 acres of land, that is too little a space between the two breeds. Once again, I point to your information about taking care to use precautions and, by keeping the two separate, one can enjoy both with little trouble (except for the occasional marauding coon).

Quote:
You guys have used that same photo every single time this topic is discussed, is that the only photo you can come up with?

I can show you my quail, perfectly healthy after living with a chicken their whole lives.
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/ChickensAllTheWay/Quail/048.jpg

If you want to tell me how to raise chickens, I'm all ears, but please don't sail into the quail forum and tell people who spend not only a great deal of time, but a huge chunk of change raising game birds that you know best, because you don't. Sorry, but you don't!

Am I a parinoid chicken hating person? You betyah! Has it served me well for 5+ years? YES! Can you raise chickens and game birds...Yes you can, just ask people like JJ and other responsable folks on the board who practace bio isolation and proper bio containment on their farm.

On a side note: I see 3 button quail, not 100,1000,or 3000. Sorry sport! I'm not risking my flock on your advice. I must advise others to do the same.

I'm not asking you to raise them with chickens, nor am I telling you that it will work everytime. With animals, nothing works everytime. I am simply stating that I did it, it worked for me and it has worked for others aswell.

Quote:
If you want to tell me how to raise chickens, I'm all ears, but please don't sail into the quail forum and tell people who spend not only a great deal of time, but a huge chunk of change raising game birds that you know best, because you don't. Sorry, but you don't!

Am I a parinoid chicken hating person? You betyah! Has it served me well for 5+ years? YES! Can you raise chickens and game birds...Yes you can, just ask people like JJ and other responsable folks on the board who practace bio isolation and proper bio containment on their farm.

On a side note: I see 3 button quail, not 100,1000,or 3000. Sorry sport! I'm not risking my flock on your advice. I must advise others to do the same.

I'm not asking you to raise them with chickens, nor am I telling you that it will work everytime. With animals, nothing works everytime. I am simply stating that I did it, it worked for me and it has worked for others aswell.

Ok, then what would be the most common denominator? What would be the safest thing to advise people to do?

Quote:

Ok, then what would be the most common denominator? What would be the safest thing to advise people to do?

Keep a close eye on then

Last edited:
Quote:

That really depends on who you ask and its not really for me to say, I haven't been raising quail for many many years like some people on here. I'm only showing that it can work.

And keep a close eye on them like the above posted suggested, like I hope everyone does with all their poultry. Not just quail.

Last edited:
Quote:

That really depends on who you ask and its not really for me to say, I haven't been raising quail for many many years like some people on here. I'm only showing that it can work.

And keep a close eye on them like the above posted suggested, like I hope everyone does with all their poultry. Not just quail.

Ok, then since you haven't been raising quail for many years like some people on here then you should do what?

Since this is asked once a week, a CIVIL thread explaining the pros and cons might indeed be a candidate for a sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom