Single chicken after predator attack

svan26

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2015
Connecticut
I'm hoping to pick a few experienced brains. Sadly two of our three hens were killed yesterday by a fox attack in broad daylight. The girls have an extremely fortified run/coop but also free-range when we are outside. I stepped inside to get my baby after his nap and in a matter of minutes heard the girls squawking. I ran outside to find a fox in our fenced in yard! I chased it away, finding to small gap it had entered by but couldn't find the girls. They are trained to come when called and also to return to their coop when told. No one responded. After searching we found one shaken up with some cuts on her face, one that soon died and no sign of the third.

My question is, how soon or if we should introduce a new girl? She's shaken up but will eat and drink if I give it to her. She won't come out of her coop but is roosting and moving around. She is a golden comet (red sex-linked)....is their a certain breed that does well one on one? Obviously the fence has been reinforced and she won't be free-ranging anytime soon.

Thank you for any assistance.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Really any breed will do fine, but if your girl is more aggressive I'd go with a less docile breed, and if she is pretty docile with other birds I'd go for a docile breed. Just try to match aggression levels so no one gets picked on. I'd get her a new friend as soon as you can, but also make sure to quarantine the new bird to avoid introducing diseases.

I have a similar situation. Our last girl Violet is an Australorp and never had any problems with out other girl. She doesn't seem to be aggressive to me, although maybe a tad skittish when I first attempt to pick her up. Any breeds I should avoid? Hoping to pick up 2 from a local breeder here in the next day or two since we lost our girl Hattie (RIW) yesterday to unknown fly strike. I am super sad because this issue progressed while we were on vacation and had I been here would have been prevented. Now I am just worried for our poor, lonely Violet.

Also, how long should I quarantine? I am new to chickens, so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Sorry to hear about your loss. We ended up getting another Pullet of the same age and breed. Quaratined for almost a month and dewormed her. And the girls get along well.

We also took four chicks from my parents to add. They are two buff orpingtons, a black sex-linked and cuckoo maran.

I think any of the common back yard breeds would be a good match with your girl. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your girls as well. It's a lot tougher than you think it will be. Glad to hear all are well now.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom