single duckling back to it's mother?

innerchild777

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Western Michigan
We had 2 fertilized eggs that mother duck was tending to and when the first began to hatch she crushed the duckling. I decided to giver her a second chance with the other one but 2 days later she'd stepped on that one too, only this baby was alive and only 1/4 hatched. I rushed it inside and turned my bathroom into an incubator with a humidifier and heat lamp. It hatched just fine but now we have a single duckling and a very clumsy mom. The duckling fully hatched Thursday and we've had it inside since. Obviously imprinting is a concern and what to do next?? Will this duckling ever be able to go into our chicken/duck coop?
My children pop in to keep it company and it has stuffed animals to cuddle, but I know they get lonely:-( I just couldn't let it get crushed in that nest! Suggestions? :jumpy

Last edited:
An unbreakable mirror helps. Setting up a pen within a pen may help, as long as the little has what it needs in regards to temperature, food, water, etc.

The standard wisdom is to let them see each other, then allow them to be together, supervised, once the duckling is as tall as the adults.

Back
Top Bottom