Single Roo Coop

karp30534

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
I am new to chickens & I started a small flock of 4 bantam hens back in October. Right after Christmas, one turned out to be a roo. In the few weeks he’s come of age, he’s over mated one of my hens to the point that only her down feathers are left over one of her wings. He is non-aggressive and a very good boy, but the girls are getting stressed. The issue is my setup is not big enough to add the hen to roo ratio needed to stop the over mating. At most, I would only have total six chickens. I don’t free range because I’m in the middle of the mountains with way too many predators. If I get him his own coop & set it up near the girls, will he be okay or is that cruel? I have been trying to rehome him over the past few days, but no one trustworthy so far. Thanks in advance.

Should be ok, though he may be upset at first that he can't get to them.
Okay. Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Like I said, I’m new to this. If I could find a farm or somewhere that he would have lots of hens or free range, I would feel better about re-homing him, but if someone else is going to keep him in a coop, I’d rather just buy another coop and keep him myself. (Which is all the luck I’ve had in finding him a new home). Anyway. Thanks again.

I am new to chickens & I started a small flock of 4 bantam hens back in October. Right after Christmas, one turned out to be a roo. In the few weeks he’s come of age, he’s over mated one of my hens to the point that only her down feathers are left over one of her wings. He is non-aggressive and a very good boy, but the girls are getting stressed. The issue is my setup is not big enough to add the hen to roo ratio needed to stop the over mating. At most, I would only have total six chickens. I don’t free range because I’m in the middle of the mountains with way too many predators. If I get him his own coop & set it up near the girls, will he be okay or is that cruel? I have been trying to rehome him over the past few days, but no one trustworthy so far. Thanks in advance.
I actually had my small pre-fab coop inside my 10x20 run. I had added on a 4' run to extend the little pre-fab coop run. So I used this to separate my roo from the girls. It took him weeks of this off n on before he even crowed when inside it. And he did ok.

I actually had my small pre-fab coop inside my 10x20 run. I had added on a 4' run to extend the little pre-fab coop run. So I used this to separate my roo from the girls. It took him weeks of this off n on before he even crowed when inside it. And he did ok.
I actually went and bought him his own coop & put it by the girls. He’s doing exceptionally well. He still crows & dances for them and calls to them when he gets a bug or treat. I’m giving him some time with them & it’s working out very well. Hopefully it stays this path.

I actually went and bought him his own coop & put it by the girls. He’s doing exceptionally well. He still crows & dances for them and calls to them when he gets a bug or treat. I’m giving him some time with them & it’s working out very well. Hopefully it stays this path.
Oh good! Glad it is working out better!

Back
Top Bottom