Sitting in the nest on a beautiful day!

If she's already gone broody, she won't mate with him, and neither will she lay any more eggs.

WHAT??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O NO!!! don't say that
sad.png

i closed up shop today but was guilted into opening it up, so i did - late in the afternoon.

just got home and she's in there working the golf ball. she just refuses to get up. we live in miami, fl so imagine there aren't many people here that we can go to for some fertile eggs. besides if we send for some via mail and then they hatch will she lay some eggs afterwards or are her egg laying days completely over?

this is so unexpected!

TGP.

Best bet to break the broodiness is to move her to a pen or cage with no nesting material for several days. Other than that, find her something to hatch!
big_smile.png

Quote:
leave the golf balls in there for about 18 days --- order some day-old chicks -- on the 19th night - sneak out there and slip the day old chicks under her

If you don't know any other chicken folks, check Craigslist for fertile eggs, or put an ad on there yourself. It's really not that difficult to find some. If I were closer, I'd give you some of mine (just gave some to a first-time hatcher the other day). Don't stress about it, it really is a fun little project (EXCEPT trying to find homes for the extra roosters that hatch...
tongue.png
).
Oh, and nope, unfortunately she will not lay any more eggs, while she's broody. Good luck!
jumpy.gif

thanks for all the great suggestions. a few options that we weren't aware of so we'll have to try at least one of them out...

hopefully we will have come up with a solution soon.

TGP!

This is exciting! I'm hoping to have a few go broody for me next Spring, but for now I'm just "watching" everybody else and trying to learn. Be sure to post updates.

Back
Top Bottom