Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

How to make Turkish/Greek Coffee

We need:
Imbreeki
Small glass/cup
Sugar
Turkish coffee

Imbreeki ( greek). You can purchase these in any Greek/Turk/Middle Eastern shop. They are cheap and I got mine locally for £4. It is an essential part of the process.

A glass. Normally there are special coffee cups or glasses for this, but I dont have any so I used this. The main thing is that it should not be big but rather small.

Turkish Coffee. What can I say. I normally use the Greek brand bravo which also consists of the finest grain but this is something else. I shall always cherish that moment when I first opened a box of Mehmet Efendi. The aromas put me into an almost hypnosis state( ok I am exaggerating). It has a strange nuttiness about it with a strong warm earthy taste and it is by far the best ( and potent) grounded coffee I have ever had. I got this from a turkish shop for around £7 and I have been using the same box for over 3 months so it is big.

Instructions

One glass per person. Put one glass of cold water into your imbreeki.

One tea spoon of sugar per person. This is totally optional and to be honest authentic Turkish Coffee is sugarless! But I like my coffee as the saying goes " dark as hell yet sweet as heaven". Mix this really well.

One heaped tea spoon of Greek/Turkish coffee per person. It is important not to mix this yet.

Place the imbreeki on your stove on a medium low simmer. Notice how I still haven't mixed the coffee. Just let it heat until you start to see the coffee heaps disappearing.

This is when you start stirring. Mix it all up. I spend a whole minute just stirring it.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT MIX AFTER THIS POINT AT ALL. It is a big nono to mix after this point not even after you served the coffee. You should notice a thick foam forming on top straight after you finished stirring. This is the essential part of Greek/ Turkish coffee as it is not so without it ( people will refuse to drink it!)

Now WAIT. What's that saying " good things happen to those who..." I forgot it but I think it's to do with waiting. I know your hands are tempted to stir and fiddle with the coffee but you need to control yourselves people! After 5 to 6 minutes you will notice small bubbles appearing on the sides (like in the picture above). This means it is time to prepare for lift off! Seriously! This coffee will lift off! Turn the simmer down to a low

You will see the bubbles creating an island in the middle. Wait for it...wait for it..wait for it

As soon as your coffee erupts like in my pic that is when you know your coffee is ready.

Now serve.

NOW THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. Sit somewhere as quiet as possible preferably with a tranquil scenery in front of you and sip away slowly and relax! In Greece and Turkey this coffee is always served with a glass of water to clear the palate. In Greece a survey was done in different cafe around Greece and it found a Greek took 90 minutes on average to finish his/her coffee on a midday coffee break! And that is served in a smaller glass than mine. So guys remember, sip sip sip away ;)

Last edited:
-sipping the morning brew and listening to the sound of rifles in the distance. -joys of suburbia close to loads of forest and waterfront. -city but feels like country.
smile.png
-sounds like the hunters are making a pretty good haul this morning. A good Sunday morning to everyone!

-sipping the morning brew and listening to the sound of rifles in the distance. -joys of suburbia close to loads of forest and waterfront. -city but feels like country. :)  -sounds like the hunters are making a pretty good haul this morning. A good Sunday morning to everyone!

Morning! :frow
I would love to swap morning sounds with you. It's in the 20's this weekend so all you can hear is the distant , constant, drone of snowmobiles :rolleyes: . Happens every winter weekend the conditions are right, we get invaded by the southerners. It's worse this week because of the world snowmobile racing championships being held in Eagle River so everyone with a cabin, or a buddy with one, and a snowmobile or a rental, is up here ripping thru the woods, down the roads and across the lakes. Fortunately, the potato farmer at the other end of the road got fed up with the damage by the idiots that refused to stay on the marked trails a few years ago (with some gentle persuasion from us and a sweet elderly couple effected even worse) and closed his property making them move the trail which is one of the main snowmobile/atv trails up here thru the state/national forests, further from us so we no longer have problems with them taking shortcuts across our field.

Last edited:
Morning!
frow.gif

I would love to swap morning sounds with you. It's in the 20's this weekend so all you can hear is the distant , constant, drone of snowmobiles
roll.png
. Happens every winter weekend the conditions are right, we get invaded by the southerners. It's worse this week because of the world snowmobile racing championships being held in Eagle River so everyone with a cabin, or a buddy with one, and a snowmobile or a rental, is up here ripping thru the woods, down the roads and across the lakes. Fortunately, the potato farmer at the other end of the road got fed up with the damage by the idiots that refused to stay on the marked trails a few years ago (with some gentle persuasion from us and a sweet elderly couple effected even worse) and closed his property making them move the trail which is one of the main snowmobile/atv trails up here thru the state/national forests, further from us so we no longer have problems with them taking shortcuts across our field.

Oh my! That would be infuriating! -would be steamed if folks came plowing through private property!!

I get irritated by the folks that see fit to drive 4-wheelers through the serene park trails. -have a beautiful local CITY park (with a nice wildlife area) and good walking trails....and some decide to tear through there (whilst others are walking) and 'bout run over folks. -'tis illegal and downright ridiculous. They need to take it onto some property where it is appropriate AND legal.
barnie.gif

How to make Turkish/Greek Coffee

We need:
Imbreeki
Small glass/cup
Sugar
Turkish coffee

Imbreeki ( greek). You can purchase these in any Greek/Turk/Middle Eastern shop. They are cheap and I got mine locally for £4. It is an essential part of the process.

A glass. Normally there are special coffee cups or glasses for this, but I dont have any so I used this. The main thing is that it should not be big but rather small.

Turkish Coffee. What can I say. I normally use the Greek brand bravo which also consists of the finest grain but this is something else. I shall always cherish that moment when I first opened a box of Mehmet Efendi. The aromas put me into an almost hypnosis state( ok I am exaggerating). It has a strange nuttiness about it with a strong warm earthy taste and it is by far the best ( and potent) grounded coffee I have ever had. I got this from a turkish shop for around £7 and I have been using the same box for over 3 months so it is big.

Instructions

One glass per person. Put one glass of cold water into your imbreeki.

One tea spoon of sugar per person. This is totally optional and to be honest authentic Turkish Coffee is sugarless! But I like my coffee as the saying goes " dark as hell yet sweet as heaven". Mix this really well.

One heaped tea spoon of Greek/Turkish coffee per person. It is important not to mix this yet.

Place the imbreeki on your stove on a medium low simmer. Notice how I still haven't mixed the coffee. Just let it heat until you start to see the coffee heaps disappearing.

This is when you start stirring. Mix it all up. I spend a whole minute just stirring it.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT MIX AFTER THIS POINT AT ALL. It is a big nono to mix after this point not even after you served the coffee. You should notice a thick foam forming on top straight after you finished stirring. This is the essential part of Greek/ Turkish coffee as it is not so without it ( people will refuse to drink it!)

Now WAIT. What's that saying " good things happen to those who..." I forgot it but I think it's to do with waiting. I know your hands are tempted to stir and fiddle with the coffee but you need to control yourselves people! After 5 to 6 minutes you will notice small bubbles appearing on the sides (like in the picture above). This means it is time to prepare for lift off! Seriously! This coffee will lift off! Turn the simmer down to a low

You will see the bubbles creating an island in the middle. Wait for it...wait for it..wait for it

As soon as your coffee erupts like in my pic that is when you know your coffee is ready.

Now serve.

NOW THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. Sit somewhere as quiet as possible preferably with a tranquil scenery in front of you and sip away slowly and relax! In Greece and Turkey this coffee is always served with a glass of water to clear the palate. In Greece a survey was done in different cafe around Greece and it found a Greek took 90 minutes on average to finish his/her coffee on a midday coffee break! And that is served in a smaller glass than mine. So guys remember, sip sip sip away
wink.png

Thank you so much for posting this for us!

I am going to save it and work through the process soon.

Back
Top Bottom