six week old chicks and four week old chicks HELP

Could it possibly have something to do with their breed Araucana and Ameraucana I believe their a mix and it is mainly in the black ones

Ok I am having a day kids dropped my computer an cracked screen an this form don't work well on my iPhone any suggestions for that issue now for the real deal I have three options I have sulmet antibacterial or duramycin-10 antibiotic they got probiotic today I have no clue what this is all I know is they seem to be fine but they are getting bald an the lumps have not gotten bigger they pretty much same an now the younger 20 are starting to show signs but this is odd it is mainly in the black ones any sugguestions on which meds I should go with all input would be helpful an thank u for your replies

And, we're right back to the same steps outlined in my first posts -- you're gonna have to actually review those links, so as to narrow down the list of possible infections, before you attempt to treat them w/ any specific medications. Once you've at least done that, you can then see which type of medication covers the broadest spectrum of the suspected possibilities, 'n give it a try. If they fail to respond at all? Then you use the results of the research you've continued to do, as you could then rule out all diseases which the medication has been proven effective against.

Lots of folks might offer up yet another guess, but ... guesses are NOT really answers, and that's what you need.

Last edited:
Te chicks are still kicken. An just as healthy as ever the lumps have gone down. I have been giving them the apple cider vinegar solution. Now I still have the balding issue that is only on about 6 birds out of 37?? Could it have been fatty deposits from corn my mom feed them while I was in hospital??

Can feeding corn to chicks cause those lumps I read it could have possibley been fatty deposits? Every thing I read was just too extream an not related to their symptoms! but I still have the balding issue?

Te chicks are still kicken. An just as healthy as ever the lumps have gone down. I have been giving them the apple cider vinegar solution. Now I still have the balding issue that is only on about 6 birds out of 37?? Could it have been fatty deposits from corn my mom feed them while I was in hospital??

Can feeding corn to chicks cause those lumps I read it could have possibley been fatty deposits? Every thing I read was just too extream an not related to their symptoms! but I still have the balding issue?

The most likely causes remain bacterial or viral infection, which may have run it's course ... there are forms of Merek's that are not quite so extreme, for example, that could explain the blistering areas. There are vitamin/mineral deficiencies that can occur, which might explain them as well.

The ACV in the water almost certainly helped 'em overcome whatever was causing their symptoms, and should be continued -- keep the water fresh, and the equipment clean. Be certain to feed the proper food intended for starting chicks, and that none of it's been recalled (i.e. some of Ralston's products were, due to not containing any Vitamin D at all, which would cause severe problems, and possibly symptoms like this). If you've been feeding anything else? That'd most likely explain their symptoms ... not due to fatty deposits, but to the weakening of their natural immunities, and condition.

I had a few bouts w/ botulism, due to my cycling of ACV, rather than using it continuously <-- as I always will. I mixed some plain white vinegar with warm water, and sprayed their roosting area and the floors/walls, and then I began spraying them as well ... it worked wonderfully well, for cleaning them off. And, I've since decided to use a good bit of murphy's oil soap in the mix the next time I clean 'em up, which will be as soon as the weather permits. The vinegar does a good job against the bacteria, and helps to loosen any dirty deposits, and the murphy's oil soap should kill any parasites, and leaves a slight coating that should serve to condition the skin. I've used it on furniture, and on automotive paint, for many years now, and on other pets as well ... don't know why I didn't start doin' this sooner ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom