Size difference

yadaguhtoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Washington State
I have 3 five week old Lavender orp chicks. Two of them are the same size and healthy, the 3rd one is almost half the others size and a little on the skinny side. Is this normal? They are eating chick starter and the little one is eating just fine it seems. Also at what age should I switch to grower?

Were they purchased as straight run or sexed? If your little one has a full crop at night, is active, eating and drinking well, droppings are normal, I would chalk it up to individuality.

ETA: If seperate grower is available where you live, you can switch them to that at 6 to 8 weeks. If only starter/grower combination is available, they can stay on that until they start laying.

Last edited:
I hatched these babies in my incubator
smile.png
I have flock grower available at my feed store, they said it is for all bird types turkey,chicken etc. if you are raising them for meat, I'm not. I just want eggs and healthy chickens of course. Is this okay?

Quote:
Because I have all ages in my one coop - from newly hatched chicks up to adults, I feed flockraiser to all my chickens. I just offer oyster shell on the side for my laying hens.

Since your chicks are home-grown and therefore straight run, I'd consider the idea that you have a little roo on your hands. All my roosters have been the smallest in the flock; then one day they catch up and pass the hens in size.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom