sizzles!!!!!!!!! show them off, ask your questions, discuss

OMG! I thought I was ALONE! YAY! Here is my beautiful Sizzle Showgirl Roo. I LOVE him! I am curious what you all think I should breed him back too!?!?
Thoughts anyone???
100_3855.jpg

No, you aren't the first person I've had ask about SIZZLE Showgirls. Frankly, I'm not at all sure where you go with this breed. You have to keep the genetics for the naked neck & the basic Silkie standard but, change the feathers to barbed frizzled. You can try tobreed back to silkie or showgirl but both will increase your chance of silkie feathering. Another possability is breed to a SIZZLE. You should get some with the frizzle gene & have those to work your way up from there. I'm 6th generations into this project & just starting to get some good consistancey so...stick to your standard as much as possible & keep working on it. Good Luck!!

Bringing up an old thread.... LOL I've read it all at once and my head is still spinning! I am getting some frizzled cochins to add to my silkies in the next few weeks and I'd like to get this breeding straight in my mind first.
What happens when you breed a smooth frizzle to another smooth frizzle? Would/could the offspring be frizzled?
How about when you breed a smooth frizzle to a silkie?
Would the smooth frizzles prevent the frazzles? ( I hope thats the name for the ones with the weak feathers that break)?

Quote:
smooth = non-frizzle = does NOT carry the gene for frizzle; genotype is fr+/fr+; all offspring will receive a Not-frizzle allele

frizzle = frizzle = carries ONE copy of the frizzle gene; genotype is Fr/fr+; half the offspring will receive a frizzle and half a NOT-frizzle allele

curley = frazzle = carries TWO copies of teh frizzle gene; genotype is Fr/Fr; all offspring will receive a frizzle allele.

Thank you for taking the time and explaining it better for me Sonoran Silkies. I'd like to think I learnt a bit about frizzles and the mistakes not to make when breeding them.

Well, I am still trying to learn about these cuties. Only last year did I ever learn they existed and now I am in love with ...whatever I have. I think I have 2 Frizzles and a Sizzle. Plus I have been hatching from the Silkie roos they are in with and the chicks are getting curly feathers. When hatching season slows down I hope to study this a bit more but I am so captivated by so many gorgeous breeds I have a hard time keeping up.
Mine are just for pets and I have had a few people buy them as house pets. Not my cup of tea but to each his own.

I suppose this is a Frizzle. She doesn't have a name, I just call her my black Frizzle girl.
9332_blk_frizzle_in_snow.jpg

This is Lucy. Always getting into trouble and a red head to boot. I totally love this bird, she is a true doll! I assume she is a Frizzle as well.
9332_lucy_n_friend_in_snow.jpg

And this is Elvis! She knows her name and is smart as can be. I got her from a friend that has a Silkie/Cochin hen (I didn't see any Frizzling on her) and was bred to a Silkie roo. I was amazed she grew up to be this. Elvis is a rotten sweet girl. But I figure this is a Sizzle.
9332_elvis_in_the_snow.jpg

So I am off on this odd adventure but enjoying all the cute chicks. I put the red one, Lucy, in with my buff blue Silkie roo to see what I will get from her and then later may put her in with a bantam Cochin roo. I have lots of colors of Cochins to work with and think this will be fun. The two blacks are in with a Partridge Silkie roo right now. So far their chicks are black but they are only a few weeks old.

Thanks to everyone explaining all this. I am trying to wrap my head around it and learn as much as possible.

I have 33 sizzle eggs in my bator at the moment, due on Sunday. Started with 36, 32 still good for sure with movement, one probably.

This is my first attempt with this breed. I am learning, but definitely will be subscribing to this thread and asking for help.

Please bear with me, y'all. I am learning.

Updating from my last post. I ended up with 24 chicks, but 2 didn't make it. I have such a huge variety in how they look that I am struggling to make heads or tails of what I have. I know that I have atleast 3 beautiful lavenders and I don't care what they look like, they are staying! I don't think they are "Sizzles" strictly speaking, because they don't have the black skin, but they are gorgeous anyway. At least two appear to have frizzling so far, and another is definitely smooth. I want to keep the lavenders in a separate area. I suppose I need a lavender silkie to add to this mix?

I do have some, though, mostly blues and blacks, that seem true to the Sizzle "standard" (I know, not a real one yet) of silkie traits with frizzle feathering. They have the black skin, 5 toes, can't tell about combs for sure yet. But all need more definition on their heads, I think. Could I put a polish in the mix? What would that do?

And last question? How do you sex these chicks? I would assume feather sexing is out. I can not vent sex. But I do notice HUGE differences in wing length and uniformity of wing feather length. Is it like in silkies where you can make an educated guess by that at around a month old?

Sorry for all the questions.

i don't know much about most of what you're asking, but i wanted to say i wouldn't add polish... unless you want to go into just a mixed breed pet chicken.... if you want to improve the poof, find a silkie with better head feathers and breed that in...

Back
Top Bottom