Skin missing on hen with pictures. whats wrong?

BairleaFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Georgetown, KY
Ive got a polish hen a little over a year old. She quit laying a couple weeks ago and started loosing feathers on her back. I figured she was starting her first molt. I noticed today that she had black on the bare skin. I pulled her off the roost tonight to check it out. Her right side is bad her left side is worse. It would appear there is no skin. There isnt enough for me to stitch up(like she was attacked and the skin was torn) Its almost as if a section was missing. Shes a little lathargic but still out and about during the day. She smells fine and her vent looks good. I gave her a coat of blue-kote. I suspect ill build a pen tomorrow and pull her from the free range flock. load her up with antibiotics and hope for the best. Normally id cull something like this but shes a breeder with beautiful coloring. Any ideas as to what it could be??

ive never seen the other birds peck at her but that doesnt mean anything. no signs of mites. I just dont see how that much skin could grow back.

She needs a saddle. You can buy or make one, do a search on BYC to find out how. I've seen lots of injuries on here like this one, and she should heal up fine with proper care. She looks very pretty, a polish?

She has been injured by the spurs of a rooster. This happened to mine when they had mites and their skin was already irritated. The roo scratched them and then they got infected. One died, so be careful and separate her, treat her injury and infection if she has one, and check her for mites. Good luck, she is beautiful.

I know shes mite free and over all healthy. Will a large area of missing skin grow back? Her speration pen should be done tomorrow. Yes shes a polish.

Yes, her skin will grow back. Keep it clean and keep her warm. If she has a friend, she may appreciate the company but you don't want her being picked at. The saddle will help with that. The skin has been torn down her sides, you'll need to cut off any skin that has been detached as it will die anyway and then there will be the issues of dealing with that. Its better to cut it off and give it a nice clean edge. She MIGHT even grow feathers back, maybe not. I had a hen that got her neck caught in some wire fencing and tore the skin right off. I had to trim it up, clean it and put neosporin on it a couple times and she was fine. Grew skin back, but no feathers. She lived to a ripe old age... til a hawk got her!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Darn hawks. Apparently chicken is a favorite food for all walks (and flights) of life.

When my hens were clawed, it was an area that was mostly down, and it all grew back. How is she?

Back
Top Bottom