Skin to Skin

8413belangt

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
Hey so I am currently resting some shipped Cayuga duck eggs prior to starting them in my incubator and I have thus been refreshing myself on hatching and I had a question for everyone. I use skin-to-skin warming after my babies hatch - I put them on my chest, gently tucked into my bra with a warm towel over top. I also make sure they are not squished or struggling in any way. I do this because this is the best way to warm newborns and I guess I've always been way too excited about my babies hatching. I also feel like it helps with bonding ... maybe it's just me that bonds more with them since this is my favorite part of the whole process. They are typically dried off within an hour or two. I have done this with 6 birds - 3 goslings and 3 ducklings and it has worked well each time. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a bad practice? It is my plan to do skin-to-skin with any of these eggs that hatch. I do work in OB/GYN and I think there's obviously tons of evidence for humans, and animals are similar as the momma duck keeps wet babies under her, but since my experience with hatching is limited compared to many of yours, I thought I'd ask.

Back
Top Bottom