Skinned quail, what can i do for him??

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
So here's the story. Yesterday, I noticed one of my young male quail had an injury on it's head, a small one that had already scabbed over. I thought we only had two males so I took the other male I knew about out because we were sure that was the problem. But when I checked him this morning, I found him with an even worse injury in the same place, a large skinning injury. I immediately took him back in and separated him. Treated him with vetrycin and put him in a sterile cage to heal. I did see him eat. But is there anything else I can or should be doing for him??
IMG_20210412_182930.jpg
IMG_20210412_182922.jpg
I checked all the other quails genders and it turns out I had another male, and he had blood evidence of the pecking. He was done up. Now we have two males that are separated and three female quail (hopefully gonna have more hatch soon). So any advice for his treatment? He is still very alert and has a strong will to survive still as well.

Oh my goodness.
I'd end it's suffering immediately.
Unfortunately that's not out of the question this time.... It is a last resort though. He is still very alert and we're keeping a close eye on him, but if he starts to go down hill we will do so.

Unfortunately that's not out of the question this time.... It is a last resort though. He is still very alert and we're keeping a close eye on him, but if he starts to go down hill we will do so.
It's your choice.
I couldn't watch him suffer.

I can not be sure as I have never owned quail or had an injury like this. Birds can be tough though. I have a 3 day old chick that strayed from its mom and got pecked in the head but not quite this bad. His name is Uno. The first pic is right after we found him. The second pic is tonight after it has healed a bit.
20210412_183109.jpg

20210413_072823.jpg

Usually I would agree with everyone else, but I think he'll be fine. Quail do this constantly. They are aggressive and pretty ruthless. You'll see similar threads all over this site.

I had a male with a similar injury back when I raised them (I got out of it for this exact reason). I flushed it, applied neosporin and within about 2 weeks it almost looked like it never happened. Just keep him away from the others or they'll finish the job 🤢.

I have to agree with @Kiki. When I first saw the pictures I thought there was a rubber ball in his feed.

X3, unfortunately.

It's your choice.
I couldn't watch him suffer.

I can not be sure as I have never owned quail or had an injury like this. Birds can be tough though. I have a 3 day old chick that strayed from its mom and got pecked in the head but not quite this bad. His name is Uno. The first pic is right after we found him. The second pic is tonight after it has healed a bit.View attachment 2615459
View attachment 2615460

Usually I would agree with everyone else, but I think he'll be fine. Quail do this constantly. They are aggressive and pretty ruthless. You'll see similar threads all over this site.

I had a male with a similar injury back when I raised them (I got out of it for this exact reason). I flushed it, applied neosporin and within about 2 weeks it almost looked like it never happened. Just keep him away from the others or they'll finish the job 🤢.

He acts like theirs no injury at all. The injury has dried and clotted nicely. Getting daily treatments, is eating and drinking well, is not in a stressful area. It's safe, secluded, and quiet most the day. We had injured females to so they are also inside for some care, their nowhere nearly as bad though. I've delt with a skinning injury before and I remember how it was treated. This one was just more extreme.

Back
Top Bottom