Skinned quail, what can i do for him??

He acts like theirs no injury at all. The injury has dried and clotted nicely. Getting daily treatments, is eating and drinking well, is not in a stressful area. It's safe, secluded, and quiet most the day. We had injured females to so they are also inside for some care, their nowhere nearly as bad though. I've dealt with a skinning injury before and I remember how it was treated. This one was just more extreme.
I'm so glad! I hope he's all good and careful now!

He will recover just fine. Just keep him separate from the rest until he heals fully and up his protein intake. What is your set up for housing? You need a lot of space to keep an even ratio of male to females, but as long as you have lots of hiding spots like boxes with two exits cut into them and little pile of sticks covered with grass for cover. Quail want to see without being seen. When it's time to reintroduce him it's best done at night and in a new area where no one has established territory.

He will recover just fine. Just keep him separate from the rest until he heals fully and up his protein intake. What is your set up for housing? You need a lot of space to keep an even ratio of male to females, but as long as you have lots of hiding spots like boxes with two exits cut into them and little pile of sticks covered with grass for cover. Quail want to see without being seen. When it's time to reintroduce him it's best done at night and in a new area where no one has established territory.
We have only a starter quail cage right now. It turned out we had three males in that cage with just three females. Needless to say, we now only have two. Letting one live for now until we see for sure how my injured boy does. (They are not together.)

We have only a starter quail cage right now. It turned out we had three males in that cage with just three females. Needless to say, we now only have two. Letting one live for now until we see for sure how my injured boy does. (They are not together.)
I had a similar experience when I first started raising quail. Don't judge too harshly on scalping behavior during breeding season. Both males and females can become very territorial when those hormones kick in. I've only had 4 truly aggressive birds, all were white birds, they growled and attacked me or anything else that came near them. After spring quail will be calmer and you'll be better able to judge temperament. What color/variety? Are they all the same color as the injured male?

I had a similar experience when I first started raising quail. Don't judge too harshly on scalping behavior during breeding season. Both males and females can become very territorial when those hormones kick in. I've only had 4 truly aggressive birds, all were white birds, they growled and attacked me or anything else that came near them. After spring quail will be calmer and you'll be better able to judge temperament. What color/variety? Are they all the same color as the injured male?
No, we got a bow tie (one of the three males we hatched, a golden (the injured and my fave male) and one with an arrow pattern. Then we got three females a dark and white pie bald, and two arrow patterns.

Back
Top Bottom