Skinny Chicken.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babychickfarmer, May 24, 2007.

1. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my 13 week old leghorn pullets have a larger comb then the other 4 and she/he also has a waddle showing already and it's bright red.....I compared this with the other 4 also and theres are only pink and little still. Could this mean it's a rooster???

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    I think yes. If the others are also leghorns but don't have the same size comb or wattles most likely. Sorry, but look at the bright side.....chickies! [if they get broody. dang leghorns only have broody symptoms!]

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  3. babychickfarmer

Quote:what I am kinda confused...unless it's a leghorn...do females get that as leghorns???

4. DementedHam

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Only SOME. Some Leghorn hens have a large comb that folds, other hens have a comb that is not too visible. My leghorn's wattle folds. At first I thought "Oh no! :eek: Another R :eek: :eek: ster!" but after it laid an egg I went <whew!> [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  5. babychickfarmer

OOO I guess I don't mean the waddle. What is the thing that hangs under thier chin. Thats what I am talking about but thier omb is a bit longer too. but the thing underneath the chin is really red...just different from the rest totally. What do ya think?

6. DementedHam

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    No...you were right. The thing on their head that is either pink or red is the comb, the things that I call "cheeks" [at times] that hang from their "chin" are their wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by