Skunk after mom and peachicks

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
Something has been digging like crazy on the side of the aviary where mom and 4 peachicks are residing so put the trap near by. There is a skunk in it? Any suggestions?

If nothing else can I cover it with tarp or blanket and move it to the back of the property to dispatch it? How careful do I need to be? So tired of hungry predators being so predominate during this terrible draught we're having in Texas. Please help us pray for rain. Thanks.

You are sure it is a skunk? Yes, you can cover the trapped critter with a blanket you can do without. Hopefully you have a pickup to put it in and release it somewhere else.
You might contact your division of wildlife to see where you may release it. There have been different opinions about the catch/move/release idea.
In the Predator Forum on this site there was a post about aversion therapy with snakes. Wonder if it would work with skunks. Basically, one would catch the critter in a trap, scare it to near death with noise, maybe spray it with water, or any other safe nuisance it wouldn't like & let it go.
Just an idea.....

I wouldn't personally leave it alive if it's found your property and knows there may be a meal in store for it. They'll eat any chicks and eggs they can get to, and possibly hurt or kill your adult birds in the process.

Rather than a blanket though, you might try a tarp or something cheaper (unless you've got a blanket you hate
wink.png
) to transport them because you'll most likely have to dispose of it afterward- the skunk may or may not spray when you approach or are moving it, but they do release their glands upon death so be certain you're away from your residence and downwind! If you manage to get it to where you can kill it without it spraying, you can remove the blanket/tarp/cover and kill... that way you save the blanket for next time.

I have a wildlife game person that lives in my town and he takes all the animals I catch and shoot them up in the canyon. The best way I heard of is to drown a skunk. That way it wont release the gas unless of course you scare him..

C&Rman :

I have a wildlife game person that lives in my town and he takes all the animals I catch and shoot them up in the canyon. The best way I heard of is to drown a skunk. That way it wont release the gas unless of course you scare him..

Just like, toss the livetrap in a biiiig tupperware or something? Or do you know a way to take them out first?​

A few weeks ago i caught a skunk that was doing the same thing to my hens and chicks. i walked over with a blanket and threw it over the cage, after it was on i took a rope tide it to one end of the trap and to my truck, took it out back, shot it.

Thanks for all the replies. Bob dispatched it and mercy me...does it ever stink outside. Not as bad to deal with as when my Miniature Australian Shepherd was sprayed while chasing a skunk away from a peahen on eggs a few weeks ago. I now have a different process of taking them outside nights to potty.

Quote:
Just like, toss the livetrap in a biiiig tupperware or something? Or do you know a way to take them out first?

Yeah anything that can drown it. Before I knew about the wildlife guy in my town, I would take racoons, skunks, and anything I caught, across the street and there is this really nasty water that is about 5ft deep I would just toss the traps in there, and come back in the evenings to get my trap.

Back
Top Bottom