Skunk in the barn!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewToFarming, Nov 2, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    So, I was weatherproofing my converted stall to coop in the barn last night and I saw a huge skunk on the opposite end of the barn. Thank goodness he was scared of me or I wouldn't be smelling to good today! [​IMG]
    Anyhow, how concerned should I be about this guy with the chickens? I do believe I have them pretty secure that he can't get in at them and so far all he has gotten into was the cat food & water bowl.
    I knew something was getting after the cat food but wasn't sure what it was but now I know it was this skunk.

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I had skunk trouble this summer and lost about 20 chicks plus he sprayed in the chicken coop itself and I had to clean it out with the home made skunk removal recipe and hose it out thank goodness it was my small barn

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Skunks are notorious carriers of rabies. They kill chickens, eat eggs, and they stink. If I were you, I'd get rid of it ASAP.

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Ok, thanks for the advice on the skunk. At least I know what to use as bait! [​IMG] Cat Food!!

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:They also like cheap cuts of beef, so if you have any fat trimmings with a bit of meat attached they will say yum and you'll have a skunk in the trap.

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I understand that there are special traps for skunks that will prevent them from spraying you. You might see what you can find.

7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:Thanks! That would be great!!! I was trying to figure out how to get him without being sprayed!!! I will see what I can find.

8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Thanks! That would be great!!! I was trying to figure out how to get him without being sprayed!!! I will see what I can find.

Havahart traps, the skunk has difficulty raising its tail, just make sure you get the right sized trap. I caught one in my trap almost two weeks ago, I didn't get juiced although the skunk did lose a bit on the trap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by