Skunk in the barn!

NewToFarming

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Millersburg, PA
So, I was weatherproofing my converted stall to coop in the barn last night and I saw a huge skunk on the opposite end of the barn. Thank goodness he was scared of me or I wouldn't be smelling to good today!
wink.png

Anyhow, how concerned should I be about this guy with the chickens? I do believe I have them pretty secure that he can't get in at them and so far all he has gotten into was the cat food & water bowl.
I knew something was getting after the cat food but wasn't sure what it was but now I know it was this skunk.

I had skunk trouble this summer and lost about 20 chicks plus he sprayed in the chicken coop itself and I had to clean it out with the home made skunk removal recipe and hose it out thank goodness it was my small barn

Skunks are notorious carriers of rabies. They kill chickens, eat eggs, and they stink. If I were you, I'd get rid of it ASAP.

Quote:
They also like cheap cuts of beef, so if you have any fat trimmings with a bit of meat attached they will say yum and you'll have a skunk in the trap.

I understand that there are special traps for skunks that will prevent them from spraying you. You might see what you can find.

Quote:
Thanks! That would be great!!! I was trying to figure out how to get him without being sprayed!!! I will see what I can find.

Havahart traps, the skunk has difficulty raising its tail, just make sure you get the right sized trap. I caught one in my trap almost two weeks ago, I didn't get juiced although the skunk did lose a bit on the trap.

Back
Top Bottom