Slate Roof...GrumbleGrumble....StupidIDIOT Gutter Installation!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by franklinstreetwest, Nov 23, 2011.

1. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Slate Roof...GrumbleGrumble....StupidIDIOT Gutter Installation!!!

Ok, so I'm sitting here trying to remember that when these gutters were installed, the internet probably hadn't been invented, and there is like MAYBE ONE contractor in my state that would've known how to work on slate....... BUT!!!! GAAAH, it just seems like common sense to NOT NOT NOT pound giant holes higgeldy piggeldy through the rock! Find a BETTER way!!!! And yes, better ways exist....the other side of my house had one done correctly. That one doesn't leak.

I've been looking forward to learning how to work on my slate roof! Really. I appreciate craftsmanship and am awed by the durability of this roof! And for that matter, the rest of the 120+ year old house keeps me in constant awe of it's solidity. I just wasn't looking forward to doing it in what is very nearly winter!

So up goes the scaffolding today. And then I get to go into "crunch mode". I've never worked on a slate roof, I've been reading and watching videos online (God I don't know what I'd do without the internet!!!) that's greatly instructive! Wish me luck.....

Just needed to vent out into the universe. Thanks for enduring the rant.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Good luck,

We have slate and box gutters - we luckily found a company that knows how to take care of slate - our house is from 1863 - and they said our slate is in pretty good shape.

3. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Good luck. Wish I could put one on my house, but not in budget.

4. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    never trust an electrician without eyebrows:D

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Good one! [​IMG]

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope you can get it all fixed.

We had a roof installed in 08 and have had 3 leaks.One *fixed* today as a matter of fact.The 2 neighbors had the same roofer and no issues.This house is cursed,lol.

I love slate and metal roofs. We have the typical shingles.

7. franklinstreetwest

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Thanks everyone!!!

It's nice to know there's other people that appreciate a rock roof. There are to few of us out there!

8. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    The sound of rain water plinking in to pots and pans was one of my favorite sounds as a kid, it was not until I got much older that I discovered most people did not enjoy this rain music in their kitchens...hehe

9. franklinstreetwest

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Carols Clucks:

Good Story!....I do also love the symphony of rain. As yet the failure of my roof has not achieved what you describe. It would be different to know that as a natural state of life. I'm not certain that my nerves could endure it in this instance. But it does remind me to keep a good perspective on things.

10. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    I guess I am confused at to why he even had to bother your slate roof unless these aren't conventional gutters. Are they box gutters. I am very familiar with slate-have several thousand and have worked with them for years. I actually have an 1892 slate cutter. You can put tidy holes thru it by just driving a nail thru it though as long as there is some support under it. But on your roof you would have to apply some sealant around the holes. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by