Sleeping in nesting boxes!

ejbeez85

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
West Michigan
My chickens are anywhere between 13-17 weeks old and they pretty much all climb into two of the nesting boxes to sleep at night. Is this normal? Will they adjust when they start laying? I'm going to put a couple more wood ladders in there today but they don't even use the one that is in there.

My chickens are anywhere between 13-17 weeks old and they pretty much all climb into two of the nesting boxes to sleep at night. Is this normal? Will they adjust when they start laying? I'm going to put a couple more wood ladders in there today but they don't even use the one that is in there.
Sounds a little old not to be on the roosts yet, but still in the range of 'normal' ... check the roosts to make sure they are not too high and are the right diameter, etc.

I am sure they will get it soon :) Maybe their cuddling because they are a little chilly. From the first day I got my chicks I put 2 large sticks in the brooder. It gives the babies a chance to practice being on a roost. Most don't sleep on it but a few will take little cat naps on it.

Sounds a little old not to be on the roosts yet, but still in the range of 'normal' ... check the roosts to make sure they are not too high and are the right diameter, etc.

We bought these coop plans online. What is considered normal diameter for the roosts? Last night we blocked off the nesting boxes and they went insane. It sounded like the rooster was attacking them. I could see a few birds way up high in the trusses.

If you have older hens, those chicks won't want to sleep on the roost. Older hens are quite bossy.
Have they ever been on the roosts?
Try blocking off the nest boxes at night

They have all been together since tiny chicks. They used to roost on little branches when they lived in the dog cage.

We bought these coop plans online. What is considered normal diameter for the roosts? Last night we blocked off the nesting boxes and they went insane. It sounded like the rooster was attacking them. I could see a few birds way up high in the trusses.
Check or ask on the coop design board, I'm sure you'll get more detailed advice on the roosts then I can give! :)

You are scaring them by blocking off their bed that they are use to---that's the reason for the insane sounds. Give them their bed back for tonight, then after dark with a dim light gently move them to the roost poles---you want to use a dim light so they do not jump off the poles when you place them. Tomorrow night at dark check on them and if needed put them on the roost poles again----They usually "get it" in a couple nights but if needed on the third evening I would block off the nesting boxes. Doing it this way They want be standing out there screaming---"I am scared, I do not know where to go". They are "babies"---think about this----your child sleeps in your bed every night----then all of a sudden---she gets ready to go to bed and you got the door closed---the child will cry and scream---because it does not know where to go!! Good Luck

You are scaring them by blocking off their bed that they are use to---that's the reason for the insane sounds. Give them their bed back for tonight, then after dark with a dim light gently move them to the roost poles---you want to use a dim light so they do not jump off the poles when you place them. Tomorrow night at dark check on them and if needed put them on the roost poles again----They usually "get it" in a couple nights but if needed on the third evening I would block off the nesting boxes. Doing it this way They want be standing out there screaming---"I am scared, I do not know where to go". They are "babies"---think about this----your child sleeps in your bed every night----then all of a sudden---she gets ready to go to bed and you got the door closed---the child will cry and scream---because it does not know where to go!! Good Luck

Very true. Thank you for your help. I'll have my husband help me with this tonight.

Back
Top Bottom