Sleepy Chicken

timewaster

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I have a 20 week Amber Pullet who is not eating, drinking or pooping. Noticed Saturday Night she was roosted high in the pen and sleeping. She didn't seem interested in the nightly treats of cracked corn or sunflower seeds. Sunday she was down on the floor, but appeared sleeping (eyes closed)whenever we went out side. Sunday evening, noticed she was in the same spot of the out side pen for over an hour. We pulled her from the rest of the flock (have 17 others) and brought her inside the house. I made scramble eggs and mixed with some cracked corn and layer crumbled, she didn't seem interested at all. Mixed electrolyte/probiotic water. She shows no interest, I did force spoon some water mix Sunday night. I thought she had an impacted crop, but last night notice it is her neck. It is like a big S, the bottom part looked like her crop. She doesn't have wry or crooked neck, since she does have control of it, it does flop, can stretch it out. There has been no poop from Sunday night through this morning. She did drink a little bit last night, but it's like you have to wake her up and try to keep her awake to drink. Ate very little scramble eggs. We live in Michigan and I am unable to find a vet that will to poop test near by. I was on this forum years ago with a silkie that had the wry neck and everyone amazing. So I am hoping for some help with this one.

Still keeping eyes closed most of the rime. Can get her to drink a little. Tried yogurt mixed with water and ground crumble feed. Had very little poop in cage, but she did go. Any suggestions.

You need to figure out what’s going on with her by process of elimination. Bring her in and crate her so you can monitor her food and water. Pictures of her poop will be helpful. Check her for injuries top to bottom right down to the skin. Look for parasites. Could she possibly be egg bound? First egg? At 20 weeks has she ever laid a egg?

20 week Amber Pullet who is not eating, drinking or pooping. Noticed Saturday Night she was roosted high in the pen and sleeping.

I thought she had an impacted crop, but last night notice it is her neck. It is like a big S, the bottom part looked like her crop. She doesn't have wry or crooked neck, since she does have control of it, it does flop, can stretch it out.

no poop from Sunday night through this morning.
Has she pooped yet?
Photos of her whole body, plus how her neck looks when you have time.

Is the crop empty, fully, sour smelling?
How does the abdomen feel - bloated, swollen, fluid filled?

At 20wks and an Amber Pullet - has she started laying eggs yet? Have you inserted a lubricated, gloved finger inside the vent to feel for an egg?

Any possibility she ate anything toxic, moldy or spoiled?

Do what you can to get fluids into her. Hold a cup up to her beak to see if she can drink on her own, if not, then you may need to either drip water beside her beak so she takes it in or you can syringe or tube fluids into her.

Keep us posted, look forward to your photos and more information.

You need to figure out what’s going on with her by process of elimination. Bring her in and crate her so you can monitor her food and water. Pictures of her poop will be helpful. Check her for injuries top to bottom right down to the skin. Look for parasites. Could she possibly be egg bound? First egg? At 20 weeks has she ever laid a egg?

We brought her in Sunday night, she has no interest in Food or water. No injuries, skin looks pinkish, which I figure is normal. I am not sure if has laid an egg, we have 17 chickens. I have looked at her vent it look okay, felt for a egg and didn't feel anything down there. Her crop is empty, no order. I have attached a picture of her poop from this morning, she had poop yesterday before I got home and first thing this morning. She did take more electrolyte/probiotic water mix this morning, and seem more alert. She had turned around in the cage and was facing the other way this morning. She is still drinking with her eyes closed and doesn't seem to open them much. From what I can see they look clear and normal
20181212_052426_resized.jpg 20181212_052440_resized.jpg

Has she pooped yet?
Photos of her whole body, plus how her neck looks when you have time.

Is the crop empty, fully, sour smelling?
How does the abdomen feel - bloated, swollen, fluid filled?

At 20wks and an Amber Pullet - has she started laying eggs yet? Have you inserted a lubricated, gloved finger inside the vent to feel for an egg?

Any possibility she ate anything toxic, moldy or spoiled?

Do what you can to get fluids into her. Hold a cup up to her beak to see if she can drink on her own, if not, then you may need to either drip water beside her beak so she takes it in or you can syringe or tube fluids into her.

Keep us posted, look forward to your photos and more information.

Back
Top Bottom