Sleepy/lethargic hen with clear liquid excretion...disease?

Quote:
If you wish to rotate wormers later on down the road, yes, by all means. Another good wormer is Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole.) It is given orally, dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. I usually use valbazen first, then 10 days later use safeguard.
I worm mine once a quarter due to our soil conditions...warm moist soil is condusive for worms. It's up to you how often you wish to worm. If you live in a cold or mountainous area, you might consider worming maybe once 10-12 months or semi annually, it just depends. DE is not a wormer despite what you've read. It is not effective when wet, until it dries. Inside the chickens innards are wet, it is ineffective.
Since you had a horse... you might've used Zimectrin Gold, Quest Plus, Equimax, or Safeguard paste horse wormers. Zimectrin Gold has ivermectin and praziquantel in it. Praziquantel kills tapeworms. You can use Zimectrin Gold to worm, dosage is a small "pea" size amount for each chicken. Quest Plus with moxidectin dosage has to be exact, a "BB" amount to each chicken.
Equimax is the same dosage as Zimectrin Gold. Safeguard equine paste (fenbendazole) dosage is a regular "pea" size amount to each chicken. I prefer the valbazen over all of them, it's kills all worms that the others miss and it's easier to administer than the horse wormer pastes.

Back
Top Bottom