Sleepy Puffed up Sick hen; odd poop-still standing

LocaConGallinas

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hope I don't get kicked off for such a lengthy post?....

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) --Cream Legbar #3 of 3 on pecking order hatched around 4-16 never layed an egg
2) What is the behavior, exactly.She has always been with the other girls and when introducing her to my 2 new hatches(likely roo and hen) was quick to peck at them if they peered out of their crate- Went away Feb break 19-26 and upon my return put the young ones out to catch some rays and the girls to free range as they do daily and she just stayed by the crate in the yard and puffed up sleeping next to the newbies; near sundown I tried to put her into the coop and #1 was beating on her; grabbing her by the head
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?Since I was away, I am unsure but my animal care taker didn't notice anything unusual; they had escaped into the neighbors yard and I asked that they be kept in their coop small run till I returned That was Friday and I returned sun eve(they were already roosting)
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.??
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I put her in quarantine Monday eve-it's been bitterly cold NY--in a crate in the garage with heat lamp...Giving her concoction of yolk;yogurt; poly vi sol; chick starter softened ---she perked up on Thursday or so and started drinking eating; Today not so much- falls asleep as I'm trying to feed her mix....I checked her crop the first few days and it seems to empty....
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Ill post pics; first poops were green and plenty of grass blades and those poops continued for a day or two....found a blade of grass in it on wed/Thursday..... poops became full of fluid when she started drinking (I did buy her a separate chick waterer)....Today they are full of mucous/ egg whites?tinged yellow....see pics I will attach....I put electrolytes in water(pedialite) and made her eat 3 concoction mini wads I made as she was to sleepy to eat....still standing
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?Concoction; crop massage; vent inspection/palpation.... it contracts a bit when I go near it??-not sure what to feel for but she certainly feels bony- I don't THiNk I feel any egg near vent or bloating
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?The vet is not an option...Just purchased Corid this weekend and safeguard is on its way-haven't used either as I am unsure what the diagnosis may be
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help..... will do
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use currently newspaper in the kennel but their coop just has a plastic lined floor and corn cob bedding in the nesting boxes

Monday my #2---Easter egger hatch 3-16 started laying again (off since October and her only molt) #1 Marans mix layed her first egg on Teusday- never molted( at least not a hard molt like the Ee)

I will try to do a warm soak later but it's 28 degrees and although she is near a heat lamp in garage I'm concerned I'll chill her if she isn't bound

Poop appears to be 'pellet' like and very narrow ...

Thanks in advance for your expertise- new at chicken keeping and bad at it since I'm not quick to cull nor spend tons of money on treating a pet -ugh!!!

Poop on paper towel was wiped from floor of crate....I have reviewed poop page for comparisons......responding to my own thread to attach images!!

Hope I don't get kicked off for such a lengthy post?....

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) --Cream Legbar #3 of 3 on pecking order hatched around 4-16 never layed an egg
2) What is the behavior, exactly.She has always been with the other girls and when introducing her to my 2 new hatches(likely roo and hen) was quick to peck at them if they peered out of their crate- Went away Feb break 19-26 and upon my return put the young ones out to catch some rays and the girls to free range as they do daily and she just stayed by the crate in the yard and puffed up sleeping next to the newbies; near sundown I tried to put her into the coop and #1 was beating on her; grabbing her by the head
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?Since I was away, I am unsure but my animal care taker didn't notice anything unusual; they had escaped into the neighbors yard and I asked that they be kept in their coop small run till I returned That was Friday and I returned sun eve(they were already roosting)
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.??
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I put her in quarantine Monday eve-it's been bitterly cold NY--in a crate in the garage with heat lamp...Giving her concoction of yolk;yogurt; poly vi sol; chick starter softened ---she perked up on Thursday or so and started drinking eating; Today not so much- falls asleep as I'm trying to feed her mix....I checked her crop the first few days and it seems to empty....
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Ill post pics; first poops were green and plenty of grass blades and those poops continued for a day or two....found a blade of grass in it on wed/Thursday..... poops became full of fluid when she started drinking (I did buy her a separate chick waterer)....Today they are full of mucous/ egg whites?tinged yellow....see pics I will attach....I put electrolytes in water(pedialite) and made her eat 3 concoction mini wads I made as she was to sleepy to eat....still standing
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?Concoction; crop massage; vent inspection/palpation.... it contracts a bit when I go near it??-not sure what to feel for but she certainly feels bony- I don't THiNk I feel any egg near vent or bloating
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?The vet is not an option...Just purchased Corid this weekend and safeguard is on its way-haven't used either as I am unsure what the diagnosis may be
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help..... will do
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use currently newspaper in the kennel but their coop just has a plastic lined floor and corn cob bedding in the nesting boxes

Monday my #2---Easter egger hatch 3-16 started laying again (off since October and her only molt) #1 Marans mix layed her first egg on Teusday- never molted( at least not a hard molt like the Ee)

I will try to do a warm soak later but it's 28 degrees and although she is near a heat lamp in garage I'm concerned I'll chill her if she isn't bound

Poop appears to be 'pellet' like and very narrow ...

Thanks in advance for your expertise- new at chicken keeping and bad at it since I'm not quick to cull nor spend tons of money on treating a pet -ugh!!!
Welcome To BYC

Since she is lethargic and seems to be in a weakened state, personally I would not soak her.

I do see a bit of blood in the poop as well (?) If you can take a sample to a vet for testing of Cocci, worms and bacterial infection that would be good.

It's possible that she may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors. Any of these conditions can cause the symptoms you are seeing, but it's possible she could be suffering from a bacterial infection, cocci or even worms.

Try to keep her hydrated and give supportive care like you are doing. Antibiotic treatment is usually not that effective with repro disorders, but can possibly give some short term relief.

Thanks so much for your reply; update-this morning I left her the concoction and some pellets as well as dosed her water with corid as I thought I should do SOMETHING (vet not an option).... she was a bit more alert and drank dosed water readily..... when I arrived home she had eaten ALL her pellets/ concoction and these are some poop images of kennel and while she was out waiting for it to be cleaned....I then gave her more of the 'concoction' and she was eating it! I hope that if she was turning the corner I didn't derail it w corid....and yes- the previous pic of stool did have some blood in it....thanks for the advice to not soak her.....if you have any other recommendations ( that I can do myself) please let me know--I have safeguard on the way from amazon...I inspected the poop and didn't see anything w the naked eye.....

Corid is considered mild and won't hurt as long as you give her the correct dosage. I'm glad to hear she is eating. Keep her hydrated, hopefully she will start to turn around.

Keep us posted.

Thanks so much for your reply it's comforting to know I'm not making her worse w the corid........she seemed down again yesterday and a bit better today; its as if she rally's for a day then back to her sleepy self; so far she hasn't gotten 'worse' I will continue keeping her warm; hydrated and fed....should I keep feeding her the yogurt/olive oil/ yolk/ starter /vitamin mix ? She shows no interest in the layer pellets (except for the day she ate then all including the mix).......and I have the safeguard--just keep it?........

Any suggestions would be appreciated;

she is just in a crate with newspaper floor-does she need a nesting box?......

Thanks so much for your reply it's comforting to know I'm not making her worse w the corid........she seemed down again yesterday and a bit better today; its as if she rally's for a day then back to her sleepy self; so far she hasn't gotten 'worse' I will continue keeping her warm; hydrated and fed....should I keep feeding her the yogurt/olive oil/ yolk/ starter /vitamin mix ? She shows no interest in the layer pellets (except for the day she ate then all including the mix).......and I have the safeguard--just keep it?........

Any suggestions would be appreciated;

she is just in a crate with newspaper floor-does she need a nesting box?......

Chick starter is good. You can try giving it wet or mixed with some yogurt. I would give poultry vitamins a couple of days a week, but omit the oil. Yolk, scrambled/hard boiled egg make fine additions to her normal feed. A little bit of fruit or fresh greens to add some interest. Don't forget to offer her some poultry grit (crushed granite) free choice, since she doesn't have access to soil.

If she isn't laying the she doesn't necessarily "need" a nesting box, but if you think she would find it comforting - you could place a box lined with some shavings or straw to make her a little place to snuggle in.
smile.png

I'm sorry she is not improving. You are doing a good job taking care of her, I'm sure it's frustrating seeing her go back and forth - do the best you can
hugs.gif

Nothing to update; she is still doing the same-she rallies for a day; eating a bit more and being more alert-I expect her to stay that way but then I find her a bit sleepy the next day??.....We are expecting a blizzard on Teusday and I'm hopeful that it will warm up after then and we can be done with the heat lamp.....not sure how long I should keep her in quarantine?

Thanks for your support

Nothing to update; she is still doing the same-she rallies for a day; eating a bit more and being more alert-I expect her to stay that way but then I find her a bit sleepy the next day??.....We are expecting a blizzard on Teusday and I'm hopeful that it will warm up after then and we can be done with the heat lamp.....not sure how long I should keep her in quarantine?

Thanks for your support
Thanks for posting, even though nothing much has changed
hugs.gif

It sounds like whatever she has is just limited to her so when the weather gets warmer I would atleast take her out during the day so she can have some sunshine and start being re-introduced to the flock.

You may need to "wean" her from the supplemental heat (I'm sure you know this) so she is better acclimated when going outdoors.

Let us know how it goes.

So an update.....it has been so nice I decided to reintroduce as well as add my new juvenile from my first and very poor hatch; they buddied up and because I have read it isn't a good idea to keep introducing and then removing.....I'm hoping that the weather will not be an issue.....she has been fine so far as I can tell; I've set two feeding stations in the yard so they have access to at least one if they get bullied away....two things- I've noticed that her poop is a bit more brown or tan than the rest ( they have all been on the same pellets and free ranging)....I'm including a pic hers is the one closest, Also her comb looks a bit more pale but since she isn't laying yet?just don't know how pale is TOO pale?.....I'll include a pic........last Thursday I took a pic of a very unusual poop-she was still in the crate getting the concoction and on newspaper-I rinsed the poop as I thought maybe it was a worm??...Nope....it was a not too thick membrane and I broke it open to find some grit??.....Any clues or adjustments in my plan would be appreciated-Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom