sleuthing facial scabs

electrycmonk

_This space intentionally left blank_
Aug 8, 2019
Happily caught in the 'Denton vortex', Tx
My Coop
My Coop
Earlier this week lost a 18 month old hen to something unknown, she lost alot of weight and stopped eating..... I tried to tube hydrate and with advice from @casportpony & @Overo Mare prepped & started tube hydration but, I failed.... During this same week I noticed on one Too his face started to get crusty bumps on his face area. Now in basically 3-4 days all Roo's in the main large breeds show signs of it.

After posting this I will go inspect the Silkie smaller flock & then I'll check all the hens in the main flock.

I started my search by entering this forum, saw this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/white-ears.1421132/#post-23375394

Thanks @sourland for the suggestion of "fowl pox"

So I did this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search?keywords=fowl+pox&tab=0
And after looking at the pics in the 1st page it's seems that my Roo's now are in the first few days of Fowl Pox:
Nicki (dark colored Polish) showed 1st on Monday but, all pics are fresh today.
PSX_20201011_143244.jpg PSX_20201011_143313.jpg PSX_20201011_143344.jpg PSX_20201011_143414.jpg PSX_20201011_143441.jpg PSX_20201011_143522.jpg PSX_20201011_143836.jpg
So I saw a post in one of the threads talk about treatment and vaccine.... Need to go back and read up that data now.

Wow ! Sometimes I hate when I am right. Ophthalmic ointment around the eyes may help keep them from crusting over. Keep them eating until it runs its course.
I'm going to try to search for a picture of the tube or general brand options.... Unless you have one handly faster?

As an update.
After checking all the rest of our flock....
- A few of the silkies have the beginnings of that crusty black scabbing.
- Several of the hens in the main flock have a couple to several scans showing up around their faces.
- I put a dab of the "myocin"I had on hand on the scabs around the eye but, not in it.

Thanks for the distraction.... The Roo's that had it bad are ALL doing better. Only a few hens got it medium during the last few weeks. We still have a few(others now) hens now showing more on their waddles and the 1st round of hens are now almost done. The Roo's are still with a few scabs but, are healing. The really bad looking Polish Roo is looking A LOT better and his eyes seem to have healed just fine.

Again, thanks for asking. Last night I was inspecting and was planning to update.... Family sadness has seriously distracted me.

Back
Top Bottom