Slipped Achille's Tendon?

Oct 20, 2017
I should've made this thread months ago. But here it finally is now. I've searched online several times, and I just can't find much helpful info on this subject. Who here knows about a slipped Achille's tendon in a chicken? I'm pretty sure that's what my EE hen has. I will attach pictures below (from a pullet, to adult, and the last picture will be of her that I just took today).
She's nearing ten-months old, and still hasn't laid an egg. I get that she's just one of those slow maturing birds, but finally, I can tell she's maturing...because finally her comb and face is turning a deep(er) pink, and she's even squatted a little recently when I went to pet her or pick her up (as much as a hen with a bum leg can). It's so painful to watch her hobble/hop, but she gets around somewhat well...she can hop pretty fast. Now with the cold, though, her leg is really bothering her. She can't hop like she used to, and often tries to keep weight off that leg. She swings her foot back and forth in the air sometimes when she's trying to walk, and I can tell the cold has made that leg/foot stiff.
But being an adult with fully developed bones, there's probably not much hope for helping get that leg back in place. I just haven't heard about adult chickens with leg joints out of place, so I wanted to know if there's any hope for helping her or not? And if so, what could I do?
And if a chicken is in pain, will they not lay? Also, her flock mates bully her.
But today especially, she has been acting strange. A bit lethargic, and not eating much that I know of. I almost wonder if she's dying. :(
Earlier when I had them out, she didn't want to go back in the run because she's terrified of her flock mates and getting pecked on. I really want to separate her and also bring her inside the warm house because of her leg, but my mom won't let me.
I'm hoping to take her to the vet tomorrow. But we'll still have to see about that. I want a vet's opinion not only on her leg, but on how she's been acting today, like if she's depressed, or sick, or just dying? If nothing else or it's really for the best, I may have to just have put her down. But I wanted your guys' expert opinions and advice.
Sorry this is so long; I just felt it'd help if you knew lots of details.

~H5 (900x675).jpg
~H6 (900x675).jpg
~H3 (900x675).jpg
~H4 (900x675).jpg
~H1 (900x675) (2).jpg
~H2 (900x675).jpg

She looks to have a leg bone deformity—varus deformity of her right leg. There is no treatment, although some splint with some strips of vet wrap to support the leg. The hock tendon can weaken or rupture, but many chickens can get along with a little extra attention. Make sure that she gets enough to eat and drink, and I would place her in a dog crate with her own food and water, but remaining with the chickens for company. Here is some reading on varus and valgus deformities which can affect one or both legs:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

I don't know much about leg problems, but I am most certain she doesn't have that! :confused:
My aunt, who gave her to me when she was almost two-weeks old, said her leg had been hurt and stuck out a little or something like that, and she said she thought Hope had slipped in the bath tub, where they'd been brooded. So that's how her leg became "deformed," I'm pretty sure. If I put a splint and vet wrap on her leg, most certainly I'll have to separate her, other wise the other ones will be picking on her more than they usually would. Thanks for your advice, though. I appreciate the response. :)

This is valgus deformity, the opposite appearance. Varus looks like bowlegs if it affects both legs, and valgus looks like knock knees if in both legs. Eiether deformity can only affect one leg.
upload_2018-12-20_22-7-3.jpeg

Thanks, Eggscessive, for helping me learn something new. But I know for sure she doesn't have either of those. We took her to the vet earlier, and he said she must've broken her leg (as a chick, obviously).

Anyways, apart from her leg, do you think she could be egg bound, even though she hasn't laid before yet? She is definitely maturing finally, and I looked up the symptoms, and she seems to have them. ?

She's nearing ten-months old, and still hasn't laid an egg. I get that she's just one of those slow maturing birds, but finally, I can tell she's maturing...because finally her comb and face is turning a deep(er) pink, and she's even squatted a little recently

Now with the cold, though, her leg is really bothering her. She can't hop like she used to, and often tries to keep weight off that leg. She swings her foot back and forth in the air sometimes when she's trying to walk, and I can tell the cold has made that leg/foot stiff.

But today especially, she has been acting strange. A bit lethargic, and not eating much that I know of.

Earlier when I had them out, she didn't want to go back in the run because she's terrified of her flock mates and getting pecked on.

she's been acting today, like if she's depressed, or sick, or just dying?
Anyways, apart from her leg, do you think she could be egg bound, even though she hasn't laid before yet?
I'm sorry about your pullet:hugs

I do agree it looks like she is suffering from a leg bone deformity.
Regardless of the cause, I don't think it can be splinted and corrected.

The lethargy is what is more concerning. If she is having trouble getting around and being picked on, I would watch to make sure she is getting to eat and drink. Sometimes if a bird is terrified of their flockmates, their health will decline.

Can you cage her inside the coop or safely within site of the flock where she is warm and sheltered from wind/elements? Caging her will let her rest and have time to eat/drink. Sounds like she is stressed. I would direct dose her with poultry vitamins (poultry nutri-drench/poultry cell) at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

You can check her pelvic bones to get a better idea if she is getting close to laying. From what I understand EE's can be slow to mature. Winter solstice will be coming soon so days will gradually get longer so she may start laying then.

Hope she starts feeling better soon, please keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom