Slipped tendon? Not splayed leg? Help please šŸ™

chickengrapes

Chirping
Mar 20, 2020
My little silkie that hatched late with assistance has both curled toes and one splayed leg. At least, I think the leg is splayed. The foot wants to flip out from the inside. It is now on it's 2 nd day of life. The toes have been taped since it was first hatches. I also bandaged the 2 legs together to help with the splayed leg. I am hand feeding it and giving it vitamins (with B2), digestive enzymes, probiotics and vitamin e. She is sitting in a cup and I'm periodically helping her balance and take some steps. But that really is just her falling over. I don't know what else to do, but it seems like it's impossible to deal with the splayed leg until the toes are fixed.

Has anyone successfully treated both things in a chick? And can you give me some tips, help to do what's best?View attachment 2467749View attachment 2467750View attachment 2467751View attachment 2467752

Last edited:
I think you have her legs taped too close together. Have you tried setting them farther apart and using a bandage instead of actual tape? I used a bandaid for a keet and it worked perfectly.

I tried Band-Aids but they kept coming off because of all of the fuzz. (Or the band aid/ me just stink at doing this). So I switched to bandage tape. I did the toes in the blue tape because I followed the instructions on here that said to use masking tape. This is painters tape that is suppose to come off easier, So I used that. I've been afraid to redo the tape with something else since it's already done. Should I redo the toes? I had planned to keep it on for 48 hrs and then check. I'm going to loosen the tape to let her legs be farther apart right now.

So I think the issue is a slipped tendon on the left leg, not a splayed leg. I have wrapped it's leg and put it in a chick chair. I'm feeling very discouraged because it is now over 24 hours. So I may have spent all this time making the problem worse. I've been sitting dreading the final outcome and searching desperately for a treatment. I removed all the bandages and massaged the chicks legs and feet until I felt the inability to straighten the one leg. I figured I would wrap it as straight as I could get it and adjust every 12 hours to try and get everything back on place. Or, that's my hope. šŸ˜¢

Has anyone had success with a slipped tendon after the first day of life?

I tried a clear jelly jar to be sure I could see what was happening. im going to now move it to a cup with ventilationView attachment 2468336

Unfortunately the chick did not survive. I believe it was due to aspiration not the leg. But, I also feel I took to long to figure out how to help it.

Back
Top Bottom