Slipped tendon?

Cute 'lil thing!

Can you examine him again very closely all the way down to the skin, look for anything like a hair, string or feather that may be wrapped around the leg/foot. Even look at the feathers coming in on the legs, see if there's anything off there. Bottom of foot too.

What does the joint feel like? Compare it to his "good" leg - you can feel if the tendon is slipping, but the movement doesn't make me think of slipped tendon, but if you don't find anything "strange" you could try splinting for a day and see if that makes a difference.

As for the chick belly - there is a bit of irritation, but I agree with @LaFleche this could be due to the way he's walking and rubbing the belly when he takes steps.
Time will tell if it's something more serious like Mushy Chick.

Giving the vitamin in water won't hurt a thing and Mama and the others may benefit or at least enjoy it, but it's important to try make sure he's getting the B-Complex. When I have a small chick like that, I dissolve the vitamin in a tiny amount of water, then syringe it into them. Chicks can aspirate easily, so give a drop at a time. If you need to, give a few drops, then come back later and give some more, etc.
I can't express how much I appreciate your and everyone else's help. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside that folks don't just write off a chicken at first illness.

I will check him out tomorrow for any obstruction on leg/foot or anything wrapped around the leg.

I used a syringe, that worked great, and there was extra in a bowl that mama was tasting and telling her chicks about it. Good to know they are accepting the vitamins in grape juice.

Thank you again. 💕

I can't express how much I appreciate your and everyone else's help. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside that folks don't just write off a chicken at first illness.

I will check him out tomorrow for any obstruction on leg/foot or anything wrapped around the leg.

I used a syringe, that worked great, and there was extra in a bowl that mama was tasting and telling her chicks about it. Good to know they are accepting the vitamins in grape juice.

Thank you again. 💕
You've got a good Mama hen!
It won't hurt for her or the others to have some vitamins either. A broody hen can often loose a bit of body condition while sitting, so eating the chick feed and getting a few extra vitamins for a little while is good for all of them.

Cute 'lil thing!

Can you examine him again very closely all the way down to the skin, look for anything like a hair, string or feather that may be wrapped around the leg/foot. Even look at the feathers coming in on the legs, see if there's anything off there. Bottom of foot too.

What does the joint feel like? Compare it to his "good" leg - you can feel if the tendon is slipping, but the movement doesn't make me think of slipped tendon, but if you don't find anything "strange" you could try splinting for a day and see if that makes a difference.

As for the chick belly - there is a bit of irritation, but I agree with @LaFleche this could be due to the way he's walking and rubbing the belly when he takes steps.
Time will tell if it's something more serious like Mushy Chick.

Giving the vitamin in water won't hurt a thing and Mama and the others may benefit or at least enjoy it, but it's important to try make sure he's getting the B-Complex. When I have a small chick like that, I dissolve the vitamin in a tiny amount of water, then syringe it into them. Chicks can aspirate easily, so give a drop at a time. If you need to, give a few drops, then come back later and give some more, etc.
Good day,
I looked for anything that might be causing irritation or wrapped around the leg, or something in the foot. There is, what feels and looks like the new feathers growing. Feels hard and spikey. I pulled on it. It definitely is stuck and looks like feathers. Looked to see if it was ingrown. Doesn't seem to be.
Belly still big but almost looks like it got, ever so slightly, smaller. Continuing with vitamins.
He is active, although not as much as the other chicks. He is resting a lot.
I will keep praying for his recovery.

Sad news.
Nemo was still running around, same condition, never improved. I was at the hospital with my ailing husband and thought I would be home in time to lock up chickens before dark. I did a chicken count, but unsure of the babies under mom. This morning I found Nemo's remains outside the door of run. Not sure if Nemo never made it back in the coop/run at lock up or if something got in the coop and was able to pull her out, yes I believe it was a she. I have not seen any rats. I feel terrible.
Thank you for all y'all support in trying to figure our her ailment. RIP Nemo. 💕

Sad news.
Nemo was still running around, same condition, never improved. I was at the hospital with my ailing husband and thought I would be home in time to lock up chickens before dark. I did a chicken count, but unsure of the babies under mom. This morning I found Nemo's remains outside the door of run. Not sure if Nemo never made it back in the coop/run at lock up or if something got in the coop and was able to pull her out, yes I believe it was a she. I have not seen any rats. I feel terrible.
Thank you for all y'all support in trying to figure our her ailment. RIP Nemo. 💕
:hugsI'm sorry to hear about Nemo, how sad.

I hope your husband gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom